Are there recommended primary resolutions performance wise for different devices?

0 favourites
  • 5 posts
From the Asset Store
Adjusting the game screen for different resolutions (Letterbox scale)
  • Hi,

Assuming there is a lot going on in the viewport (a lot of objects with a lot of animations, quite a bit of particles etc.), are there recommended resolutions to use? If I used lower resolutions I could move a lot of the stuff going on at one time off screen and save resources (since it doesn't need to be drawn all at once). Or should the primary resolution mostly be considered on visual basis (to make pixel art look good etc.).

Another question. If you want to make a monochrome background, is there much difference making a sprite that is size 1x1 and expanding it in the editor to fit you background vs using a tiled background? Since with sprites you can use animation frames it is very easy to make events that make the color change automatic. By for example using a condition like: change animation frame to biome_number*season_number, and then just having different one pixel sized images with the desired bg color as animation frames (and create a nice transition effect as well by creating a new color image of same size behind the old one and then fading away the top image). It makes it more complicated if you create a different tiled bg for each color. I guess that with tilemaps the same thing could maybe be done easily as well? But what is the best and simplest method?

• Regarding a giant stretched out sprite vs a tiled background, I don't know which is better. I suppose the best way to know would be to test it yourself

You can accomplish a changing bg color with only one TiledBackground

1. Import an image file to use for your Tiled Background (Files > Import files)

2. Use Load Image from URL and enter the file name

This will let you swap out the TiledBackground's image

• Regarding a giant stretched out sprite vs a tiled background, I don't know which is better. I suppose the best way to know would be to test it yourself

You can accomplish a changing bg color with only one TiledBackground

1. Import an image file to use for your Tiled Background (Files > Import files)

2. Use Load Image from URL and enter the file name

This will let you swap out the TiledBackground's image

Hi,

I didn't notice much difference between stretched 1x1 pixel sprite and tiled bg.

Regarding your method of changing background color, how would you automate it to go well with conditions? With animation frames it's very easy to always set the correct frame if you put all the frames in right order, like if each biome has 4 seasons then biome 0 has frames 0-3 and if you want to set the color to biome 0 season 3 then you set the animation frame = biome_number*4 + season_number, so you need to only use one condition that always sets the correct image color.

• > Regarding a giant stretched out sprite vs a tiled background, I don't know which is better. I suppose the best way to know would be to test it yourself

>

> You can accomplish a changing bg color with only one TiledBackground

>

> 1. Import an image file to use for your Tiled Background (Files > Import files)

> 2. Use Load Image from URL and enter the file name

>

> This will let you swap out the TiledBackground's image

Hi,

I didn't notice much difference between stretched 1x1 pixel sprite and tiled bg.

Regarding your method of changing background color, how would you automate it to go well with conditions? With animation frames it's very easy to always set the correct frame if you put all the frames in right order, like if each biome has 4 seasons then biome 0 has frames 0-3 and if you want to set the color to biome 0 season 3 then you set the animation frame = biome_number*4 + season_number, so you need to only use one condition that always sets the correct image color.

It's very similar

Name the files numbers like 0.png, 1.png, 2.png, etc

Then just do Load Image from URL biome_number*4 + season_number & ".png"

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ah ok I see. Thanks.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)