Proper isometric movement? Reference Game Example attached.

1 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Unlock platyers earning coins, and save it with Localstorage
  • Howdy! So I've been trying to put together an isometric game and I cannot figure out how to make proper isometric movement. i.e. When using 8-direction, the player moves at a perfect 45 degree angle, which is not the proper angle for an isometric game.

I know it can be done. This beautiful game managed to do it (https://sketchylogic.itch.io/small-saga)

Anyone know how to get movement like this?

Any insight would be great. Thanks guys.

M

Tagged:

• Isometric movement can be simply implemented with a "Custom" movement and dealing with each of the 9 movement possibilities (8 directions + stopping). You basically replicate an 8 directions movement but systematically set the vertical speed to half the "normal" value.

Here's a rather simple exemple.

drive.google.com/file/d/1uaA4pFmVPtippjllw-KPo4J-oOcJ52v-/view

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thank you for taking the time to reply! :D Very helpful. Have a great day.

Isometric movement can be simply implemented with a "Custom" movement and dealing with each of the 9 movement possibilities (8 directions + stopping). You basically replicate an 8 directions movement but systematically set the vertical speed to half the "normal" value.

Here's a rather simple exemple.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uaA4pFmVPtippjllw-KPo4J-oOcJ52v-/view?usp=sharing

• I made a game with axonometric view, which is somewhat similar.

All characters in the game are actually invisible sprites, walking with 8direction behavior on an invisible tilemap somewhere off-screen. (All this in a normal top-down view of course)

What players see is their projection on visible axonometric tiles.

It's difficult to explain, here is the link, you can download the project file:

construct.net/en/forum/construct-3/your-construct-creations-9/green-shadow-game-jam-entry-151995

• dop2000

Nice Game !

malfurion79

I sow this Tutorial with Capx file , maybe can help

construct.net/en/tutorials/isometric-games-object-layer-1321

• I made a game with axonometric view, which is somewhat similar.

All characters in the game are actually invisible sprites, walking with 8direction behavior on an invisible tilemap somewhere off-screen. (All this in a normal top-down view of course)

What players see is their projection on visible axonometric tiles.

It's difficult to explain, here is the link, you can download the project file:

https://www.construct.net/en/forum/construct-3/your-construct-creations-9/green-shadow-game-jam-entry-151995

Really cool! Thanks for the example. Look forward to seeing how everything works inside. TY!

• dop2000

Nice Game !

malfurion79

I sow this Tutorial with Capx file , maybe can help

https://www.construct.net/en/tutorials/isometric-games-object-layer-1321

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I will check it out!

• strawberrypunch.com

it's like a normal game but 3D positions are converted to isometric screen positions

you can see it in action in this project construct.net/en/forum/construct-3/your-construct-creations-9/isometric-3d-autotilling-152469

• strawberrypunch.com

it's like a normal game but 3D positions are converted to isometric screen positions

you can see it in action in this project construct.net/en/forum/construct-3/your-construct-creations-9/isometric-3d-autotilling-152469

This is pretty dang sweet! Any chance I can get a file with just the character movement? I checked out your file but not really sure how to use it lol I'm looking to make an iso RPG but have a hard time lining everything up.

That jump is awesome! Basically looks like a 3D game in 2D space. Either way thanks for sharing and good luck with Strawberry Punch! Love it.

What's the status on it so far? Still working on it?

• basically,

screen.x = (object.x - object.y) * 0.5

screen.y = (object.x + object.y) * 0.5

if you want 3D,

screen.x = (object.x - object.y) * 0.5

screen.y = ( (object.x + object.y) * 0.5 - object.z )*0.5

that'S it really. this will turn the x and y axis 45 degrees clockwise.

how you modify the object's x and y is up to you, be it instance variables or behaviors, and they will translate to isometric movements

If you want to know more about my game, there's more information and links inside the game, but I'm not going to talk about it here because I don't want to get banned

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)