Proc-Gen RPG

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Random Maze Generator with Door & Key System - tutorial capx
  • Hello,

I am going to make an RPG style top-down game (Demoniore style). It is based outside and I have the needed tiles for the ground. The map will be fairly large, and will be mostly proc-gen. What I need help with is the water and, if I decide to add them, raised areas. Lets just stick with water for now though. I have the standard cross tile for the water:

How will I make pro-gen bodies of water? Obviously it will be a tile system (16x16).

Thanks,

Give me a Pixel

• For what, making the tiles or generating them? And will I need to make all 47 tile? (I think there are 47 to include any shape possible)

• Okay, I created a proc-gen body of water. It uses standard proc-gen programming via a tilemap and an array. The only thing I need now is edging it. There shouldn't be need for any more tiles than the standard plus tiles (see pic in first post). It will need to check the 8 tiles around it and determine what tile to use. What is the most efficient way of accomplishing this? It could either change the current (Red line) edges or create a new edge around the body (Yellow line), whichever would be easier. Here is one of the proc-gen bodies of water (obviously they're different every time):

Give me a Pixel

• Hi there, I would check for each water tile, and then place their tile according to their neighbors, therefore I think the easier method would be using the redline. Using the yellow line would be a neighbor check, so I believe it would be more demanding on the CPU.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • dupuqub

Thank you for your reply. How would be the easiest way to determine what tile is needed? Would there be code for each tile, each one a long list of compare at XY conditions?

• I would check the 4 direct neighbors (up, down, left and right) and orderly put their values in a string like "1001", where 1 is land and 0 water, as an example.

Then you could have an array describing each possible combination along with a corresponding tile and its status (flipped/mirrored and/or rotated, whichever works best for you).

The more specific your tile set is, the more specific the source array should be. mirroring, flipping and rotating are mostly generic solutions for more minimalistic art or sample projects.

• Search: bitwise tilemap auto tiling

• Thanks guys, I'll see what I can do.

• That worked. I used a 8 digit binary string and found the correct tile to use via dictionary. I am only using the tile from the standard plus (pic in first post) and it took 37 sequences. I looked up how many sequences can be made with 8 binary numbers and it was 256! I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon! :) Thanks so much for your help!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)