How do I prevent distortion that happens to effects when they scroll to the edge of the view?

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
On the Edge is a puzzle game where you have 40 levels to have fun with.
  • I'm trying to set up some water in my game. I've created a simple blue sprite which has the "Water" effect applied to it so it ripples a bit.

I have the layout scroll to my player object position and as I move around the ripples work as you would expect where they are attached to the sprite and the flow is not interrupted or affected by the camera movement.

That is until the sprite with the effect applied gets close to the edge of the view...

As the sprite approaches the edge of the view the ripples no longer flow as you would expect, they seem to be affected by the edge of the view port which causes them to squish and distort, almost like it's calculating that the ripple effect has to stop at the edge of the view rather than the edge of the sprite which continues beyond the current view area

Needless to say this is a very unnatural aesthetic that one wouldn't expect to see as a camera passes over a water background lol. Just wondering if there is some option or setting that I'm missing to correct this issue. It seems to happen with all effects, the crystal ball effect for example. it will distort a sprite on load and when you pan the camera around and it remain unchanged until it reaches the edge of the view where it then dynamically changes based on how much of the sprite is in the view. Hoping there is a way to adjust this...

Thanks!

UPDATE: I'm still looking into this and see this issue definitely exists with any effect that's applied to a sprite, even bumpmapping. Any effect that's been applied to something gets all skewed whenever the sprite with the effect applied gets close to the edge of the view. Frankly, I'm very surprised I haven't seen more people bringing up this issue. I've tried applying effects to an entire layer rather than just a sprite and it seems to reduce the issue (at the cost of more granular control over how the effect looks on a specific sprite) but there's definite artifacting that still happens to those sprites at the edge of the view. So not a real solution I guess.

It's a little disheartening as the more I'm experimenting and researching the more I'm hoping this isn't just "the way it is". I can't be the only person to ever try to have a sprite with an effect leave or get close to the edge of the view and noticed this issue.

Thanks again to anyone else looking into this.

• Well... I'm pretty much convinced at this point it's just a flaw with the default parameters they have coded for the effects.

Looking into the process of making an effect it looks like there's a parameter that can be defined in the addon file that affects how far outside the view the effect will be rendered. I suspect this parameter is related to the issue described.

And there doesn't seem to be any way to easily edit them from within Construct or the addon manager. Which is a little disappointing to be honest.

In any case, I found and loaded up a 3rd party effect called Ripple from the asset store and it doesn't suffer from the same problem at all. So it's clear it has something to do with how the stock effects are configured rather than just an engine flaw.

So currently, the only solutions I can see from my own research and bountiful replies to this thread are:

1. Trying to find a means of adjusting the settings in the stock effects if I can find the files on the system.

2. Making my own effects as addons that work properly.

3. Using other 3rd party effects from the asset store.

4. Using other means of mimicking effects via various layering, motion and sprite animations.

5. Bugging the Construct team to fix the problem

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • From time to time I see distortions in sprites at the edge of the view with the spherical effect. It steps through one of the animation frames and does something odd on that frame. So you are not alone.

yours

winkr7

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)