Platform Behavior Ceiling Collision Issues

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Wanting to do a Shot n Run game easily? Here is your chance!
  • For my Smash Bros. Clone, I'm attempting to get something like this functioning in the game, as in Smash this is obviously as characters attempting to recover will slide against the ceiling of a surface when getting close to ledge, it's just a matter of how. I tried my best to explain it below, but if you guys could help me step in the right direction as to how to get something like this working, please let me know.

• This may be a difficult task, here is my attempt:

dropbox.com/s/smootz7j1tmx8jc/PlatformCeilingSlide.c3p

I probably won't be spending more time on this, but the idea is to disable Solid behavior for platforms (ceiling, floors) when the player is in the air - jumping or falling. Otherwise on collision the Platform behavior will kill any velocity.

With Solid is disabled you can check for collisions using events and adjust player position depending on its moving direction and the angle of the ceiling.

• It works! My only complain is that there seems to be an issue when ever there is a ceiling type of solid next to a wall as for whatever reason when it comes into contact with the edge of the slope it gets pushed down jarringly in a direction that is not the slope? I suppose detection of the angle like I mentioned before would fix this but I messing around with it myself makes me unsure

• Yeah, depending on your levels design, you might need to add more events to handle different combinations of slopes, player direction, whether it's jumping of falling etc.. Like I said, it's a difficult task, may take many hours to get everything right.

• I really wish something to solve this would be added to the platform behavior. I made a suggestion for it a while ago: construct23.ideas.aha.io/ideas/C23-I-90

Votes would be appreciated.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I am not sure if this'll work, but perhaps having an invisible square sensor above the player, and if in air and if this sensor overlaps a solid, do a loop to push the player downwards by 1 pixel (and the loop will keep checking "is overlapping solid? Push down 1 pixel" until the sensor is no longer overlapping a solid).

The only thing I'm not sure about is if the platformer behaviour will react first, THEN the sensor. If this is the case, then this may not work or may not work 100% of the time.

Personally, I'd recommend attempting to make your platformer entirely in events, as this gives you more control (at the cost of efficiency, but if designed right, it isn't much of a loss).

• I'll try the first thing out and see if that works, but otherwise I'll try creating my own platform engine with events. Efficiency is needed for something like this as the game is four players and might possibly be up to 8 but if it's an issue that only creating my own player engine would fix then might as well.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)