Organizing Projects

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
  • Any tips for Organizing Projects? Most of the tutorials that I see ether everything is stuck into one big large Event Sheet with no organization or it's stuck into one big event sheet but grouped.

Wouldn't it be ideal to separate out the logic for object into their own Event Sheets and then on the layout event sheets include those for the objects that you need on them?

• You can use a layout for all global events and include it in each layout's linked event sheet. On the layout's linked event sheet you could have specific events for that layout.

• How deep can you go with Event Sheets?

So let's say I do an Event Sheet for each Monster, 1,2,3,4 and then do a Monster Event sheet that includes those and then include that in the event sheet for says Objects. Would that work?

Or could the order of how it's processed get a little backwards?

*Quick note* - I know about Families and I would want to use those as much as possible, I'm just using this as an example.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • This sounds like your quest for organisation has become too convoluted. You could use one event sheet for the whole game it's not going to make a difference. Using as many event sheets as you're describing is unnecessary and not required. My tip would be don't do that. I think the intention of event sheets are to be per layout.

• There are no strict rules, every project is unique and you can organize event sheets any way you like. The main factor for me is convenience and ease of use. I don't enjoy working with giant event sheets with many hundreds or even thousands events. And I don't like when there are too many event sheets with just a couple of lines of code in each. Break the code into manageable blocks, use groups, make sure you include only the necessary sheets.

• use functions. You can have event sheets which are really just groups of similar functions and work like a library in a normal programming environment. Suppose MonsterOne is a member of the monster family write functions that have the form

functions.MoveMonster(UID)

inside function pick monster by UID

The SOL is completely reset by a function call and all functions are now global so you don't need to worry about including the event. Just name your functions in a logical manner so you can find them

yours

winkr7

• Also leverage using groups. You can enable and disable groups at runtime to help control stuff. Multiple event sheets are great for separating larger features.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)