How do I not screw up like this again?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
2D fighting template based in the game that defined the fighting games genre.
  • Hi

Managed to delete every instance of a certain enemy from every layout and have no idea how I managed to do this or when (only just noticed they were all gone).

In the interests of making sure I don't do this again (and preserving my sanity), would someone like to comment on what I did wrong exactly? At first I thought I must have deleted it from the project bar, but it's still there. Just all instances are gone from layouts and will need to be re-added manually. I don't even remember when I worked on that object last. Guess I must have pressed something while I had them selected at the master level.

Cheers

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • okay, so a bit of a wtf moment.

As I was going through re-adding them to each layout, I opened up one particular layout which I haven't had opened for a while. All the enemy instance types have been moved to this layout. Even more frustrating, more of the other instances in that layout have been moved to different layouts.

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet on this one and revert to an older save. This is too much.

• that sounds utterly impossible, you sure you didn't thinked you where placing them on Game area , but actually u where placing them on a 2nd layout without thinking u clicked the wrong layout? it happened to me also so many times. make sure u tap the right layout if you preview with f5 if u arent sure u are on the right layout use f4 that would start the game with the loader/menu/game interface.

also check the the event-layout and the layout u are supposed to see the enemy or sprite are linked together, if you generating them by events.

• Yeah, I think I managed to have them selected at the master level and moved them to my global, non-scrolling HUD layer. I have nfi how or when I did this, but I fixed it by going to an older save that had all the correct instances and just selected all and pasted them into the newer version.

All fixed. I gotta be more careful.

Is there a way to permanently lock a specfic layer so no new instances can be added? Even with it locked, I'm always adding things to that damn HUD layer by mistake.

• Yeah, I think I managed to have them selected at the master level and moved them to my global, non-scrolling HUD layer. I have nfi how or when I did this, but I fixed it by going to an older save that had all the correct instances and just selected all and pasted them into the newer version.

All fixed. I gotta be more careful.

Is there a way to permanently lock a specfic layer so no new instances can be added? Even with it locked, I'm always adding things to that damn HUD layer by mistake.

You can lock the layers so you don't drag or remove them by mistake but not to stop putting new instances on the layer. This might be a good feature request actually for C3.

• Alright, this happened again today and I was able to isolate what causes it.

Turns out that if you have instances through your project that are on different layers in separate layouts, changing their layers to be the same actually moves what layout they're on.

This is the reason why I was able to break some of my levels without ever actually opening them up (thought I was going crazy).

Anyway, I recreated it in a separate project and uploaded it to the bugs github, so maybe it'll get fixed. At least I know not to change what layer an object resides on from the project bar.

github.com/Scirra/Construct-3-bugs/issues/2523

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)