Multiplayer with multiple layouts?

1 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Full source code to the game guardian. Includes all art and music assets.
  • Hello,

Is it possible, with the native Multiplayer plugin, to have a dedicated server and host multiple layouts so player can play across them?

Thanks

• Sorry for the double-post, but I got the idea of having multiple accounts, named "admin_host_<layoutname>", and logging each in their respective layout as hosts.

Do you think it would work?

• I never really dabbled with the multiplayer object but I think a single "host" layout that handles all peer communications should be the privileged solution for a "multi-layout" multiplayer game.

However, I think it would also force you to rely on custom messages for syncing your game state...

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • What you describe should work, with certain caveats. It would require peers to disconnect from the room and connect to another room per layout, which is manageable. One major disadvantage would be that your hosts would not be able to communicate with each other. You would have to rely on trusting your peers with the data they carry as they switch layouts/signallingrooms/hosts. The "latest" information state for each peer would only be known by the last host they were with and the peer itself, so you might run into persistence issues.

Magistross's suggested method is how I would attempt it, but you won't be able to take advantage of the built in sync object feature, and messages are not as bandwidth friendly.

Much of it depends on your specific project's requirements and scope especially in terms of number of peers, persistence, and host authority.

Note that if your hosts have a method of communicating with a central database, there potentially be huge advantages to using the method you are asking about.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)