How do I Move a first-person 3D camera in the direction I'm looking along any/all axis?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
Simple and easily editable template for a dynamic camera that zooms in and out based on how far apart the players are.
  • I really hope this is something simple I'm missing here...

I'm trying to get a first person 3D camera that I can move in the direction I'm looking in 3D space not tied to a single plane of movement.

Think like Descent... A first-person game where you use the mouse to look around anywhere in 3D space and when you push W you move towards the specific point you are looking at in 3D space.

I've got the mouse on movement event trigging to rotate the camera with this:

{"is-c3-clipboard-data":true,"type":"actions","items":[{"id":"rotate-camera","objectClass":"3DCamera","parameters":{"rotate-x":"Mouse.MovementX / 10","rotate-y":"Mouse.MovementY / 10","min-polar-angle":"20","max-polar-angle":"160"}}]}

And I've got the for when pushing W:

{"is-c3-clipboard-data":true,"type":"events","items":[{"eventType":"block","conditions":[{"id":"key-is-down","objectClass":"Keyboard","parameters":{"key":87}}],"actions":[{"id":"move-along-camera-axis","objectClass":"3DCamera","parameters":{"distance":"1","axis":"forward","which":"both"}}]}]}

Instead of moving in the direction I'm facing though I'm just moving along a single axis regardless of where I'm looking.

The description for the "Move along camera axis" action specifically says "Move the camera and/or look position along axes relative to the direction he camera is pointing in" but that's not what it seems to be doing.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • there are multiple example projects with a camera like this, I recommend checking them out in the example browser

• there are multiple example projects with a camera like this, I recommend checking them out in the example browser

Can you name a specific one? Cause I didn't see anything specifically.

First-Person platformer for example can look around and you'll move in the direction you're looking but if I look up at the sky and try to move I don't start going up in the sky - and that's what I'm looking to do - not being tied to a plane.

• Well I figured it out...

More polish required but in essence I did the following and it seems to work as I hoped.

1. Added an event for W is down with 1 action:

3DCamera - move-along-camera-axis

distance:"10"

axis:"forward"

which:"both"

2. Added an event for S is down with 1 action:

3DCamera - move-along-camera-axis

distance:"-10"

axis:"forward"

which:"both"

3. Added an event for Mouse on Movement with 2 actions:

3DCamera - rotate-camera

rotate-x:"Mouse.MovementX / 10"

rotate-y:"Mouse.MovementY / 10"

min-polar-angle:"20"

max-polar-angle:"160"

3DCamera - look-at-position

cam-x:"3DCamera.CameraX"

cam-y:"3DCamera.CameraY"

cam-z:"3DCamera.CameraZ"

look-x:"3DCamera.LookX"

look-y:"3DCamera.LookY"

look-z:"3DCamera.LookZ"

up-x:"0"

up-y:"0"

up-z:"1"

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)