How do I make a menu with sprites, using a keyboard & controller.

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Small pixel icons for the 3 most popular controller types.
  • This is what I have as of right now, but how would I make the purple box move up and down, in order to select the options, as-well as open other menus? I'm a beginner, and am trying to create an RPG.

• There are different approaches I guess but because it must also relate to a selection I would use a global variable for a position so it could be 0, 1 or 2. When you press down it adds 1 to variable, when you press up it subtracts 1 from variable, and another check would ensure it doesn't go below 0 or above 2.

Then you could relate the variable to the position and also the menu to go to. If variable=0, set Y position so it is over NEW GAME, if var=1, set Y position so it is over CONTINUE etc.

Then for going to next level you can say on enter button pressed, if variable = 0, start new game, if =1 load game, if =2 load options layout etc.

An RPG is a big task though, maybe it's worth asking for help in a team assuming you are an artist. Good luck!

• Thank you so much for the response! I'm going to attempt this now.

(I'm actually not an artist, it's me and an artist attempting to create a game, we started with RPGMaker, but then realized the limitations)

• If you're new to Construct, it's probably worth looking through the example projects available on the Start Page, and the tutorials section.

I put together a tutorial for keyboard controlled menus a little while ago for example.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • There are different approaches I guess but because it must also relate to a selection I would use a global variable for a position so it could be 0, 1 or 2. When you press down it adds 1 to variable, when you press up it subtracts 1 from variable, and another check would ensure it doesn't go below 0 or above 2.

Then you could relate the variable to the position and also the menu to go to. If variable=0, set Y position so it is over NEW GAME, if var=1, set Y position so it is over CONTINUE etc.

Then for going to next level you can say on enter button pressed, if variable = 0, start new game, if =1 load game, if =2 load options layout etc.

An RPG is a big task though, maybe it's worth asking for help in a team assuming you are an artist. Good luck!

I've been trying to figure it out for a while now, and still can't, could you explain it in a little more detail?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)