How do I maintain an object position when moving it to another layer?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • Hello!

I have an object on a parallax layer, and when I move it to a layer that has no parallax, it (of course) suddenly changes position due to the layers behaving differently.

Is there a way to get it on to the non-parallax layer that maintains its on-screen position, please?

• The parallax setting is based on a percentage of the non parallax xy's.

Do you know how to figure percentages?

• I do, but I'm not sure how I'd apply it in this particular problem.

My best guess so far has been:

-> inventoryItem: Move to layer "UI"

-> inventoryItem: Set position to (Self.X - LayerParallaxX("Background"), Self.Y - LayerParallaxY("Background"))

I'm aware there are no percentages here, just stuck as to how I'd use them!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I would use LayerToCanvas X/Y to get the coordinates on the current layer, then CanvasToLayer X/Y to get to the new layer at the equivalent position.

• Yeah I was just thinking that might be a better way to go.

• Thanks guys, I hadn't heard of the Canvas To Layer function before. After a bit of digging I've got it working using this code:

-> inventoryItem: Set position to (CanvasToLayerX("UI", LayerToCanvasX("Characters", inventoryItem.X, inventoryItem.Y), LayerToCanvasY("Characters", inventoryItem.X, inventoryItem.Y)), CanvasToLayerY("UI", LayerToCanvasX("Characters", inventoryItem.X, inventoryItem.Y), LayerToCanvasY("Characters", inventoryItem.X, inventoryItem.Y)))

-> inventoryItem: Move to layer "UI"

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)