Local Input Prediction Causing Inconsistencies

0 favourites
  • 1 posts
From the Asset Store
Total customisation of the input! You can combine inputs from all peripherals. Make your game accessible for everyone!
  • Hiya, working on a multiplayer platformer battle game adapted from the real-time multiplayer example. I've noticed that without local input prediction, there's a slight latency between the host and peers even when I'm testing locally and it reports 1 ping. This is lessened by turning on local input prediction, but then I seem to get inconsistencies with host-sided events like player knockback (using set x/y vector events). So while the peer will jump normally, when I have things like a hop after a goomba behaviour or a knockback effect the vector change is weak and seems to stutter as it tries to sync with the host.

Is this because I have the collision/knockback events host sided? For the knockback, I change the peer deceleration while flashing so they fly further away. Is this not reflected in the peer's instance I suppose I could make this a shared common event, but where does it end? When goomba stomping another player, the peer has a weaker hop than they're supposed to, but if I started making all the collision events and stuff peer and host sided, wouldn't that just create more desync and open the door for cheating?

Most of my multiplayer games are turn based or otherwise asynchronous, and I really want to get into real time multiplayer but I can't seem to keep latency down.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)