Any instance variables added don't want to work. I have no idea what the problem is.

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Easily store, modify, read and manipulate colors with Color Variables!
  • I'm currently developing a dialogue-based game for a school assignment that makes heavy use of instance variables.

I have 8 working instance variables in the game so far, 6 of them being used for redirecting the player to certain dialogue. With the 3 NPCs that have 2 of these variables each, they work completely fine.

However, I'm trying to get another NPC's variables working, and despite how each event sheet for the dialogue is virtually identical, it's not working at all.

I've tried basically everything. Remaking the event sheet from scratch instead of duplicating it from a previous character's event sheet, adding dialogue to establish some difference, transferring the function to other objects' variables... it seems the latter is the only method that works, but only for objects that already function properly.

I'm completely stumped.

Here's the download for the latest version of the project. Point of interest is the character "Erin" and her event sheet.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KsF93Utwa-lKeHtPaVqBnJ67TTCRYhk-/view?usp=sharing

• the erin layout does not use any event sheets

• the erin layout does not use any event sheets

My mistake there. However, even when I've connected the layout to the event sheet, it still doesn't work.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • what doesn't work? open the debugger and see what'S happening, narrow it down

• OK, so the problem is that Erin's conversation topic variable (changed with the Shift key) and dialogue variable ceases to work.

I'm currently in the debugger right now, the Bronze layout's inspect tab shows everything that should be there, while Erin's says nothing but...

The instance being inspected ('erin' UID 100) was destroyed.

I'm not exactly sure what this means. Is it corrupted or something?

By the way, I apologise for not knowing very much here, I'm fairly new to using Construct, or just any proper game-making tool in general.

• OK, so the problem is that Erin's conversation topic variable (changed with the Shift key) and dialogue variable ceases to work.

I'm currently in the debugger right now, the Bronze layout's inspect tab shows everything that should be there, while Erin's says nothing but...

> The instance being inspected ('erin' UID 100) was destroyed.

I'm not exactly sure what this means. Is it corrupted or something?

By the way, I apologise for not knowing very much here, I'm fairly new to using Construct, or just any proper game-making tool in general.

To add, Erin's inspect tab displays itself properly before talking to her, but then displays the error message after she has been interacted with, even when you exit out of her layout.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)