im trying to make a dialogue box, but its not working

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Create complex dialogues with ease with this tool/template!
  • Im tryng to make just an chat with typewriters that changes to the next text when you press enter, but its not working, and i have no idea why its not working. im using JSON to do it. heres te project: drive.google.com/file/d/1rwVBcJG1hJz6UvxS3oO-JsxaNW7pqm8-/view

• Hey Constraint, a found a few issues. It isn't 100% working but hopefully this gets you unblocked. Also I'm very new to construct so forgive me if I mess anything up.

Potential issues that I found

Set layer dialogue was misspelled: Dialogo - Line 7, 25, 26 

system gameEstate = “Dialogue” was running every tick causing CurrDialogue to keep adding 1. - I added a sub event to trigger once. 

The system else at line 17 was immediately calling endDialogue and setting GameEstate to “” 

Missing end “ in dialogues.json line 32 “line”: “Text 9. <-

- I used a json validator to find this. system CurDialogue = functions.GetNumLines+1 is immediately forcing the endDialogue function to run. I set CurrScene and CurrDialogue variables to -1 and familiy npcs sceneid variable to 0 The condition for is dialogueText not running typewriter text on 14 causes the text to run through all text immediately. Also this ends on currDialogue 9 but it should end on 8 because of the zero based array. I'm sure I missed something or forgot to write something down.

Now at least the first dialogue from the json file shows

drive.google.com/file/d/1rh2Ej8jNtXC58rgVW0jEZ9jgvRXyb9iw/view

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Sorry formatting on that got botched and I don't know how to edit the reply.

• Set layer dialogue was misspelled: Dialogo - Line 7, 25, 26
    • system gameEstate = “Dialogue” was running every tick causing CurrDialogue to keep adding 1. - I added a sub event to trigger once.
    • The system else at line 17 was immediately calling endDialogue and setting GameEstate to “”
    • Missing end “ in dialogues.json line 32 “line”: “Text 9. <-

- I used a json validator to find this.
    • system CurDialogue = functions.GetNumLines+1 is immediately forcing the endDialogue function to run.
    • I set CurrScene and CurrDialogue variables to -1 and familiy npcs sceneid variable to 0 because arrays are zero based
    • The condition for is dialogueText not running typewriter text on 14 causes the text to run through all text immediately.
    • Also this ends on currDialogue 9 but it should end on 8 because of the zero based array.
    • I'm sure I missed something or forgot to write something down.

Hopefully that is a little more readable.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)