Is what I'm hoping to do feasible?

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
  • I'm asking this before I set out to do it so I don't get my hopes crushed.

I'm making a game with a level editor. Naturally, I want players to be able to upload their own levels to some sort of server, so that you can play each other's creations.

I'd also like players to be able to upload a thumbnail with a specific resolution alongside their level. I've learned that there is a file chooser that allows for something like this.

Is it possible to upload this image along with the level (which is just a long string)? How do I even make a server like this?

Can I add a leaderboard that goes alongside each level?

If a player uploads an inappropriate thumbnail can I delete it, and can I have someone be a moderator so they can delete it too?

Can players rate levels? Report them?

I'm fairly experienced as a construct dev, but this is all stuff I don't know anything about. So I'd like to know if this is within the realm of possibility to do (and by just one person).

• You will require a server backend for the portrayed setup.

It looks like you want to be able to share the levels, and have others play them, rate them etc etc,

You will need a location where this information gets stored, cs3 is not able to do this by itself.

I would suggest a regular webserver to serve and store the game/app and extra files, and use PHP MySql to store related information and imagery.

you would require some PHP scripts to:

Storing images on the server (or in database as blob)

Store player generated level in database (array.asjason to a Sql table entry)

Store players information ranging from ratings to scores in various tables.

Retrieve various information from server and SQL: images, scores, ratings

When you have this, you can either create an "admin" like app to manage the infromation added by players on the server, or simply use phpmyadmin or a custom php page for it.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thank you for the detailed reply! I feel a bit more confident now.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)