Help with understanding "On-Rails Shooter" template.

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
Create a game inspired by great arcade classics as Operation Wolf
  • Hello!

There is an On-Rails Shooter template available, and it's exactly what i needed.

However I'm having troubles understanding it.

I'm inspired by games like Space Harrier and thought it could be cool to do something like that. This template is perfect!

I just need to understand how to enrich the template with different enemies and bosses.

Got stuck trying to make the "Target" move around and shoot projectiles back at me.

What should i tweak to make Target be able to move and shoot with the same effect as mine but reverse (at player's "ship"). "Pathfinding" or "moving to" couldn't help.

(i'm sure this is a very nooby question - any help would be awesome. I wish there was some tutorials about such genre)

Here is what i did so far with placeholder grpahics:

drive.google.com/file/d/1JoPdr2aIzVuVxOJ2N6t17aVtkPtAMllf/view

• It's not really a noob question because you've started by taking an advanced template and tried to tweak it but this is not really the way to learn Construct.

From what I can see your bullet is using 'animation speed', when it should be using the variable 'speed' which comes from the Family so you have to add waspbullet to the Family and use 'speed'.

For the movement of the enemy it is up to you but you will notice the ship is using 8 direction, not something you mentioned or tried yet, so enemies could use 8 direction also and move about the screen.

• It's not really a noob question because you've started by taking an advanced template and tried to tweak it but this is not really the way to learn Construct.

From what I can see your bullet is using 'animation speed', when it should be using the variable 'speed' which comes from the Family so you have to add waspbullet to the Family and use 'speed'.

For the movement of the enemy it is up to you but you will notice the ship is using 8 direction, not something you mentioned or tried yet, so enemies could use 8 direction also and move about the screen.

Thank you for your answer!

Yeah I tried to go further and put some enemies with 8 direction movement and now there are these skulls spawning and moving towards the "ship".

I'm still trying to understand exactly how that Wasp appeared in such a cool effect (with Z-coordinates)... Not sure how to make those skulls to spawn with such effects as well.

I see the Wasp is having Tween Behaviour. Maybe this is the key reason?

However if i give that skull enemy a Tween Behaviour as well, it completely ruins the "wasp" enemy...

I feel like i'm very close to understanding of cool spawns and effects that were originally presented in that Template. This is basically all i need (if you know that Space Harrier game - it's basically an on rail shooter with random enemies popping out with interesting effects of appearing from far and getting bigger and etc. But it's all just 2D sprites so Construct is perfect for that)

• Well, yes it is the tween. It adjusts the z elevation over time which in this makes it look like it is moving forwards/backwards

• Well, yes it is the tween. It adjusts the z elevation over time which in this makes it look like it is moving forwards/backwards

when I try to give other objects the same behavior, the wasp stops moving (it just stays at the very first spawn size like if wasp's tween conflicts with skull's tween points).

Can only one object have this behavior?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Share the events ?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)