How do I handle fullscreen for safari?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
  • I have a game that will be hosted as html on a secure server (https).

The browser object calls fullscreen on user input (touch), and there are no other actions taken within that event.

Project settings:

* Viewport fit-> Auto (tried both)

* Fullscreen mode->Letterbox scale

* Fullscreen quality->High

* Orientation->Landscape

Full screen is not properly called (or ignored) by safari and I have switched my focus to "tidy things up" around the problem to make it less of a pain for iphone users.

Text and buttons are slightly bigger to compensate for the smaller play area and there is a message at startup stating fullscreen could not be initiated and directions to using chrome browser for a better play experience.

Is there any great solution I've missed or is this the sad truth about safari?

• Is it Safari on macOS, iPad or iOS?

IIRC Apple do not support letting Safari go in to fullscreen on iOS.

• It's on iphone, not sure which one that is then, guess ios.

Anything that can increase the play area would be helpful, hiding tabs, using some html element or browser js command perhaps?

I've reached the limits in my knowledge in this area now.

• iPhones run iOS, and so Apple just don't support fullscreen in Safari there yet unfortunately.

• Ashley thank you for your active involvement even on the forums =)

A friend of mine kindly installed chrome browser on his iphone to try my game and got an error message that the page could not be loaded, while I could load it fine on my android.

I don't have enough data to file a bug-report, I can just carry the info that, that particular work-around does not seem to work.

At this moment I think there is no solution on how to serve a html (https) site exported in construct to be viewed on an iphone at fullscreen (or at least with minimal browser ui).

Is that correct?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I think the only way for iPhones is to publish an app. Apple don't allow Safari on iPhones to go fullscreen, and because Apple ban other browsers (no idea how they get away with that), other browsers are just skins over Safari and so have the same limitations. So if you try Chrome, Firefox, Edge or anything else on iPhone, you're still using Safari but just with different branding.

• I think the only way for iPhones is to publish an app. Apple don't allow Safari on iPhones to go fullscreen, and because Apple ban other browsers (no idea how they get away with that), other browsers are just skins over Safari and so have the same limitations. So if you try Chrome, Firefox, Edge or anything else on iPhone, you're still using Safari but just with different branding.

Wow! that "skinned safari" was a bust, amazing they haven't been sued (yet).

I'll just wait and see what the future brings then, and users will have to settle for a slightly smaller play-area.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)