Game Options

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
five golem elements Sprites Sheet.Best for enemy or villain game characters.
  • Hello again,

There are two things I was wondering about:

First, I have seen many games where there is an option for quality (usually high, medium, or low). Can this be done in construct 3? I know there are a few quality options, but I don't know which ones I would use if I put an option for quality in my game. Also, the only reason for this is to improve performance- not just adjust how the graphics look. Most of my games are pixel art.

Second, how can I make a loading page during the game? So I know I can make a custom loading page at the beginning of the game when it is loading, but what if, say, I had a level picking menu. The levels are very big and have lots of objects and data to load. So big, in fact, that they could take a few seconds to load. Nobody wants to look at a black screen for that long (assuming you did transitions. If you didn't have transitions you would just see a frozen layout that you are leaving until it loads the next layout.) It seems like going to a loading layout until the next layout is done seems inefficient. Also, It would be nice if there could be a loading text or at lease an animated loading sprite while it is loading.

Does anybody have any tips to achieve either of theses?

Thanks in advance,

Give me a Pixel

• For the second part, take a look at the options in System > Memory Management.

More info can be found here...

construct.net/en/make-games/manuals/construct-3/system-reference/system-actions

Specifically, the Memory Management section, about half-way down the page.

• Ok, so in the example, when I pick a layout to go to, go to a loading layout and use the "load layout images" action? Then when the "on image loading complete" condition, go to the proper layout? Could I also use the "imageloadingprogress" expression to set a text or whatever on the loading page?

• Ok, so in the example, when I pick a layout to go to, go to a loading layout and use the "load layout images" action?

Unfortunately, no. You can only preload images to use in the current layout. As soon as you switch to another layout, the memory will be cleared, and then all images from the new layout will be re-loaded again..

I have seen many games where there is an option for quality (usually high, medium, or low).

There is a GFX plugin which allows you to change graphics quality. I only tested the included demo project, but it looks impressive.

I believe in most games "quality" means different things. For example, on low quality you may disable some effects, remove some particles or decrease their spray rate, replace background images with lower resolution versions etc.

• Ok, so in the example, when I pick a layout to go to, go to a loading layout and use the "load layout images" action?

Unfortunately, no. You can only preload images to use in the current layout. As soon as you switch to another layout, the memory will be cleared, and then all images from the new layout will be re-loaded again..

Ok, so how do I create a loading screen?

I have seen many games where there is an option for quality (usually high, medium, or low).

There is a GFX plugin which allows you to change graphics quality. I only tested the included demo project, but it looks impressive.

I believe in most games "quality" means different things. For example, on low quality you may disable some effects, remove some particles or decrease their spray rate, replace background images with lower resolution versions etc.

Yes, that is good advice. Thank you.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Ok, so how do I create a loading screen?

If you have a lot of graphics and you want to pre-load it for the next layout, it's not possible.

You can display "Loading.." sign on layout A before switching to layout B.

• I can try that, but in my experience the layout your on freezes until the game goes to the next one. It might work for a static loading text, but not a changing text or an animated sprit.

• Correct, you can only show a static text/picture.

Another (difficult) option is to remove all heavy graphics from the layout. When the layout starts, you can show some loading animation and start creating all objects via events, one by one with "Waits" between them, allowing the loading animation to play.

• Ok, thank you.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)