Your experience (and advice) on platform behaviour and multiplayer plugin

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
The I18N (Translation) is a Construct plugin created to translate text in game.
  • hello!

When I test locally with 2 browser windows, multiplayer works, but the movement on the peer window is very "jittery".

Especially with jumping. It doesn't matter if the peer or host jumps, the peer window shows "jittery"-movement on the jumps.

Smaller detail: also the position is not 1:1 with the host: sprite X sometimes appears on another platform on the peer screen, compared to the host screen.

My questions are:

- Do you have experience with this situation and is this "normal"?

- Do you have an idea to improve this? (should I not use the platform behaviour?)

Some info:

I used the multiplayer shooter demo to make this project.

'Enable local input prediction' is turned on.

I am using the multiplayer plugin and the player sprite uses the platform behaviour.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Make sure that the Platform behavior is turned off by default. Then make sure only the Host enables the platform behavior for everyone's character. You don't want both the Peer and the Host to be controlling movement, only the host

• That was the problem causing the jittering, thank you master of multiplayer!

Everyone reading this: check out Noah Gengo's dynamic fog system. :)

noah-gengo.itch.io/construct-3-dynamic-fog-system

• Make sure that the Platform behavior is turned off by default. Then make sure only the Host enables the platform behavior for everyone's character. You don't want both the Peer and the Host to be controlling movement, only the host

hi Noah Gengo, a question about this:

If I disable platform behaviour for the peer, there is no jittering movement, but noticable lag. (because the peer only sees what the host is sending)

If I enable it on the peer side: the peer sees the player move without lag. But the jittering movement appears when standing on sprite blocks.

The sprite blocks have a behaviour "jump through".

And because there is jittering movement, the peer-player on the peer-screen falls through the block, while the peer-player on the host-screen stays on the block.

Do you have advice on how to fix this?

(I would like to increase the treshold of the the Jump Through-behaviour, to tell the sprite block: yes, I know the peer-player is jittering vertically, but don't let it fall down! But there is not much to edit.)

• My advice is don't let platforms move, and don't use Sync Object because it's unpredictable, unreliable and uncontrollable, learn about online multiplayer design and latency compensation algorithms, and use the "send message" multiplayer action in combination with the binary plugin

but, that'S like, probably bad advice, sorry.

• My advice is don't let platforms move, and don't use Sync Object because it's unpredictable, unreliable and uncontrollable, learn about online multiplayer design and latency compensation algorithms, and use the "send message" multiplayer action in combination with the binary plugin

but, that'S like, probably bad advice, sorry.

Thanks and all advice is good advice. I appreciate the idea you are giving.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)