How efficient should I be with graphics to save memory?

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Over 1700 16x16 pixel art RPG icons for item and skills
  • Hello,

I've started working on art for a mobile game. I've attached a picture of what I have so far. The last game I worked on was pixel art, so I didn't worry too much about resolution and memory usage. But since I'm working in 1280 x 720 with this project, I'm trying to make sure I do the art as efficiently as possible so I don't have to redo it all later.

While looking around, I found this blog post: https://www.construct.net/en/blogs/construct-official-blog-1/remember-not-waste-memory-796

It mentions using smaller sprites to create backgrounds and objects, which will work really well for the background in this project.

However, I'm curious how far I need to apply this principle. Should I be recreating the books with shapes in Construct 3 versus just importing them as PNGs? Also, the sock character won't have too many animations, but the one completed right now has 13 frames. I could theoretically just recreate his animations by moving his different pieces in Construct 3, but would that be worth the memory it saves?

Thanks in advance,

Snalec

Tagged:

• The blog post is more of a warning to not use large "HD" images which might range from over-scaled sprites, to 4k backgrounds. In practicality you can have hundreds of different images(books, sock?, etc) at the scale you have posted.

What you should not do is have them all on one screen and moving at the same time.

Think about how you can swap out x many things that take up x memory for something else that gets you up to where you want to be.

There is no pre defined amount to recommend. You have to look at the target hardware, and what the current artwork takes up in ram, which is a little more than on disk.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • The sock character is the only thing moving. Everything else will be static. Thank you so much for your help!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)