How do I distort or warp a Sprite?

0 favourites
  • 15 posts
From the Asset Store
Minimal Sprite Font with Stroke for Pixel Art games.
  • Hi, i'm using C3 on MacOS. I'm quite new at this.

I need to be able to distort/warp a Sprite (just like in Photoshop), i don't need to interact with the warping in real time or anything, i just need this sprite (a TV screen) to be at all times curved and with the correct perspective as an image of an old TV i'm using.

(i've been trying to upload a picture about it, but i get the error message "An error has occurred [Error, Unknown object type]")

I heard of an addon called Paster, but i wasn't able to install it on C3, and i'm not sure it's exactly what i need.

I also heard of "custom draw" but that was only available for C2.

Does anybody have a clue on how to do this?

Thanks in advance

• The easiest way is to apply a shader effect to the sprite. Open c3 and check out the shader examples which come with it.

• The easiest way is to apply a shader effect to the sprite. Open c3 and check out the shader examples which come with it.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I've been hearing about shaders quite a bit, but i haven't found them in C3, are they the same as Effects?

If that's it, i haven't found anything that helps me skew or move the 4 corners of a sprite to create a perspective.

Would you know how to do that?

• On the C3 Start-Page on the left, there are examples. Click on 'Intermediate Examples' and scroll to Effects: old tv.

If possible I would do it without effects and try to use animations instead.

Especially on mobil you can get performance problems with effects.

• On the C3 Start-Page on the left, there are examples. Click on 'Intermediate Examples' and scroll to Effects: old tv.

If possible I would do it without effects and try to use animations instead.

Especially on mobil you can get performance problems with effects.

Thanks for your reply. I see, this seems quite like it. Do you know where to find an explanation of how this was made? i can't seem to find how the sprites behave in this old tv "spherical" way and how the tv static effect was made.

For instance, the text reads "The bottom layer has a stack of shaders applied to create this 'old TV' effect."

where do you find these shaders and how do you apply them to a layer?

• When you load the project, click on Layer0 in the layer-tab on the right. The effects are all bound to the layer not to a sprite (it should also work on a sprite, I think). Now you should see on the left in properties all effects that are used. If you click on the parameters you will get a litte description on the bottom what this parameter/effect do.

• When you load the project, click on Layer0 in the layer-tab on the right. The effects are all bound to the layer not to a sprite (it should also work on a sprite, I think). Now you should see on the left in properties all effects that are used. If you click on the parameters you will get a litte description on the bottom what this parameter/effect do.

Thanks! As far as skewing or moving the 4 corners of a sprite to create a perspective is concerned, do you know how i can achieve that?

• You need Paster:

https://www.construct.net/forum/construct-3/plugin-sdk-10/c3-plugin-paster-130339?kws=paster

http://www.blackhornettechnologies.com/Construct3Stuff/Samples/PasterPerspective.c3p.zip (just remove the .zip from the name).

Thanks!

I tried removing the .zip from the name, i also tried unzipping it and adding .c3addon, but nothing. I get this message "Failed to install the addon. Check the browser console for details"

Is it because i'm using C3 instead of 2? Or what am i doing wrong?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You need to load the plugin first, in the Addon Manager (Menu->View->Addon manager). Refresh, then open the c3p file.

• You need to load the plugin first, in the Addon Manager (Menu->View->Addon manager). Refresh, then open the c3p file.

Hey thanks, i was able to install the addon, i refreshed and it now shows up in my addon manager. However when i open Effects or Behaviours, it's not there, it can't seem to find it anywhere.

I'm sorry for asking about every single step, but i'm really lost here. Thanks in advance.

• It's an object. Insert it like any other (Sprite, for example).

• It's an object. Insert it like any other (Sprite, for example).

Thank you. But i can't seem to see how it helps me get perspective or distortion. All i see is a white rectangle that i can't edit or use it as a sprite. Do you happen to have a tutorial on how it's used?

• I gave you a c3p file!

• I gave you a c3p file!

When i try to open it i get a "Failed to open project. Check it is a valid Construct 3 single-file (.c3p) project."

Nevermind, i was able to open it by drag and dropping the file to the browser. Thanks.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)