Thanks for your reply
I don’t have measurment other than my game passing from not crashing to crashing. :)
I would be glad to send you the project file if it could help, but last time I send it you told me that there were too many third party addons required. Which is also part of why it took me so long to update to C3 and I’m still unable to use C3 runtime.
I have no doubt that in most situations C3’s spritesheet system is much better than C2’s, and you sure did an amazing job with it. Just in this situation it doesn’t seem optimal. Thanks for the info about the way it’s working. I use a “container” layout which regroups most sprites from the game on a single layout (even though some of them are also dispatched amongst other layouts for loading reasons), from what you say I understand this could be a big part of the problem.
Biggest problem: performance drop
I didn’t mention it earlier, but another big problem I have using C3 instead of C2 is the huge performance drop. It runs very poorly on the C3 exported version while C2 was completely fluid (50-60 fps at all times on a mobile phone). To be more precise, there are sometimes freezes of 0.5 up to 1 second in the middle of the gameplay.
My theory about this is the following: Healer’s Quest sometimes needs to load very small images that are not present on the layout in the editor (they are too situational and there are too many of them to load them all on all layouts). With C3’s spritesheet system, these very small objects may be part of a big unloaded 1024x1024 pixel spritesheet (if not dispatched amongst 3 different 1024x1024 pixels spritesheets), and the game freezes while the spritesheet is loaded. I already put the maximum spritesheet size to 1024x1024 and it didn't help.
To be complete, I should say that these big freezes not only happen on my phone, but also on my computer when previewing the game, which never happened with C2.
I even recorded a video of the freezes happening on my computer, here is a link to it:
I think at least two of the 3 freezes in the video happened due to the loading of a new object.
From all this, I conclude that my game has been developed with C2 in mind, and it just doesn’t suit the way C3 works. Don’t get me wrong, I already use C3 for my next project, and it’s much, MUCH better than C2! I’m just saying that Healer’s Quest works better as a C2 game unless I take weeks to completely rework the code...
To reply to BadMario , Healer’s Quest is already split into something like 300 layouts, but the container layout is probably a big part of the problem.