How do I make dialogue go in a specific order?

1 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Create complex dialogues with ease with this tool/template!
  • Hey I am having trouble making my game called Snubs Fight (like Sans from Undertale) and for some reason it is not working like I would like it to, for example, on the beginning of it I want the animation "eyes closed" to start and him saying "it is a beautiful day outside", but for some reason even though I added code for him to say it on the start of the layout, it just immediately does "should be burning in hell" even though I clearly coded it so that it would not do that yet until it says "on days like these, poachers like you..." and the "Animal Fact" sprite is not appearing from the fade behavior but Snubs is fading out. Although I did want Snubs to fade out, the animal fact is not appearing. So I am just confused as to why it is not playing in the order I put it in and I have discovered that sometimes, it goes for the bottom code first and not the top for some reason. I know this is asking for a lot and I am just a 14 year old boy, but I need some help.

here is the code that is annoying me (I did not use the script, I just used the add event)

{"is-c3-clipboard-data":true,"type":"events","items":[{"eventType":"block","conditions":[{"id":"on-start-of-layout","objectClass":"System"}],"actions":[{"id":"set-animation","objectClass":"Snubs","parameters":{"animation":"\"eyes closed\"","from":"beginning"}},{"id":"typewriter-text","objectClass":"SnubsDialogue","parameters":{"text":"\"it's a beautiful day outside\"","duration":"3"}}]}]}

{"is-c3-clipboard-data":true,"type":"events","items":[{"eventType":"block","conditions":[{"id":"compare-text","objectClass":"SnubsDialogue","parameters":{"text-to-compare":"\"it's a beautiful day outside\"","case-sensitivity":"ignore-case"}}],"actions":[{"id":"typewriter-text","objectClass":"SnubsDialogue","parameters":{"text":"\"birds are singing, flowers are blooming...\"","duration":"3"}}]}]}

{"is-c3-clipboard-data":true,"type":"events","items":[{"eventType":"block","conditions":[{"id":"compare-text","objectClass":"SnubsDialogue","parameters":{"text-to-compare":"\"birds are singing, flowers are blooming...\"","case-sensitivity":"ignore-case"}}],"actions":[{"id":"typewriter-text","objectClass":"SnubsDialogue","parameters":{"text":"\"on days like these, poachers like you...\"","duration":"3"}}]}]}

{"is-c3-clipboard-data":true,"type":"events","items":[{"eventType":"block","conditions":[{"id":"compare-text","objectClass":"SnubsDialogue","parameters":{"text-to-compare":"\"on days like these, poachers like you...\"","case-sensitivity":"ignore-case"}}],"actions":[{"id":"typewriter-text","objectClass":"SnubsDialogue","parameters":{"text":"\"should be burning in hell.\"","duration":"3"}},{"id":"set-animation","objectClass":"Snubs","parameters":{"animation":"\"serious face\"","from":"beginning"}}]}]}

{"is-c3-clipboard-data":true,"type":"events","items":[{"eventType":"block","conditions":[{"id":"compare-text","objectClass":"SnubsDialogue","parameters":{"text-to-compare":"\"should be burning in hell.\"","case-sensitivity":"ignore-case"}}],"actions":[{"id":"set-fade-out-time","objectClass":"AnimalFact","behaviorType":"Fade","parameters":{"fade-out-time":"5"}},{"id":"set-text","objectClass":"AnimalFact","parameters":{"text":"\"The mantis shrimp is able to punch so quick that creates cavitation bubbles in the water, causing light and heat. The force of the punch is about the same as a .22 caliber gunshot, allowing it to easily punch throw its hard shelled prey and even a quarter inch of glass.\""}},{"id":"set-wait-time","objectClass":"Snubs","behaviorType":"Fade","parameters":{"wait-time":"7"}},{"id":"set-fade-out-time","objectClass":"Snubs","behaviorType":"Fade","parameters":{"fade-out-time":"5"}},{"id":"wait","objectClass":"System","parameters":{"seconds":"10"}},{"id":"set-fade-in-time","objectClass":"Snubs","behaviorType":"Fade","parameters":{"fade-in-time":"0"}},{"id":"set-fade-in-time","objectClass":"AnimalFact","behaviorType":"Fade","parameters":{"fade-in-time":"0"}},{"id":"set-collisions-enabled","objectClass":"MantisShrimp1","parameters":{"collisions":"enabled"}},{"id":"set-collisions-enabled","objectClass":"MantisShrimp2","parameters":{"collisions":"enabled"}},{"id":"set-visible","objectClass":"MantisShrimp1","parameters":{"visibility":"visible"}},{"id":"set-visible","objectClass":"MantisShrimp2","parameters":{"visibility":"visible"}},{"id":"set-animation","objectClass":"MantisShrimp1","parameters":{"animation":"\"punch\"","from":"beginning"}},{"id":"set-animation","objectClass":"MantisShrimp2","parameters":{"animation":"\"punch\"","from":"beginning"}}]}]}

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You can't just copy/paste events here, we are not able to read them.

You need to make a screenshot and post it as an image. Or upload your project file to a file sharing service and post the download link.

I'm guessing you didn't add delays between dialogue phrases. Try this:

Set text to "it is a beautiful day outside"
    Wait 1
    Set text to "on days like these, poachers like you..."
    Wait 1.5
    Set text to "should be burning in hell"

• Thank you so much, it works now.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)