Desktop / mobile scaling change possible?

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
A simple fun and stylish endless scroller game ready to be customized and published.
  • Hi All,

I've been building a first very simple game which has been going well. I have scaling setup as 'Scale outer' to maximise screen estate on mobile and re-position / anchor things which again works great.

I'd like to change the scaling mode to 'Letterbox scale' on desktop but can't quite figure out how to do this? I see the event system condition 'Is on mobile' which I can invert to detect desktop but can't see how I can change the scaling?

The game is aimed at mobile but for desktop I don't want it to allow the extra horizontal screen estate as an ultrawide screen (like I have!) makes the game unplayable. Ideally it should take up as much space as it can in 'Letterbox scale' but it would also be useful to be able to set to a fixed size on desktop if needed.

FYI At the moment this is all just running non fullscreen i.e. windowed in a 'normal' browser window.

Hopefully this makes some sense! Thanks all :)

• I have the same problem but do the opposite, it'S set to integer scale by default but when on mobile it waits for a gesture to request full-screen stretch outer. It does not work very well, but it's the best I got

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I was speaking with another C3 dev last night and his strategy is to always have 'Scale Outer' set so mobile works well (when you adjust game-play elements to use all the space) and then for desktop either embed the game at a fixed size or use a little JS to resize the same as 'Letterbox scale'.

One other way I thought of to have two builds and detect your user type (mobile / desktop) via JS in the HTML outside C3 and present the correct version although that means building two versions and I'd imagine won't work if your for portals and so on. I could be wrong, I'm very new to HTML5 gaming dev and deployment.

Be interested to hear how people are packaging their games for portals and mobile and so.

Thanks all!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)