How do I create a series of... things (pages/slides/items, etc.) ?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
3 different games for kids, easy to edit, mobile ready
  • Hello friends, I am using Construct to make educational content for my school in India. It's html 5 export which is then used standalone on computers, and via webview in Android apps.

I have a general question about how to approach content where you have a series of things - whether they are slides, questions, or, in this case, a series of sentences example with audio that are meant to help teach reading.

I am new to Construct and not very proficient in javascript. In this particular project (file is below) I have a sentence, where I've separated the words and made corresponding audio clips. The words are clicked, the highlight, a picture appears, and the audio is played.

Here's my question. This is one sentence, one item. What if I want to have a hundred? With some typical form of navigation (prev/next buttons and mobile swiping). What are some options for achieving this, and what's most efficient? The only approach I've found is making more and more layout, but this can't be the best, it's nightmarishly inefficient.

Here's my project file

vikasapp.org/c3/sentence-reader.zip

I would greatly appreciate any guidance. If we take this one sentence example that I have provided, and then wanted to have many of them.

Many thanks,

Brett

• Probably the best way to approach it is to use an array with the sentences you want to show. These sentences are then looped through and text objects are created so they can be individually clicked on.

When a text object is clicked, it plays its corresponding sound. Here is an example of what I mean (you can also use the built in text-to-speech object although it is slightly robotic):

dropbox.com/s/k1rqw2gag391zb2/sentenceReader.c3p

For the images, you can have a sprite that changes animation based on the text, or add the animations to the array as well.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks so much for the help Pinbak. If you don't mind, I'm getting a "Can't Open - Invalid" error on the example file you posted. Could you possibly check it?

I will begin working with the information you've given me, but the example file would of course be very helpful.

• Thanks so much for the help Pinbak. If you don't mind, I'm getting a "Can't Open - Invalid" error on the example file you posted. Could you possibly check it?

Are you getting the error when downloading it or when trying to open it?

• When trying to open. I have C3 paid version. Thanks

• I am not entirely sure why that is but it could be an error with the order of events, in which case here's a new version:

dropbox.com/s/82kfyx1ab2wib99/sentenceReader2.c3p

Alternatively, it could be the text to speech object as it can be a little broken, here's an example without it:

dropbox.com/s/0ulpzcy8j7ks25c/sentenceReaderWithoutTextToSpeech.c3p

• Pinbak, I was able to get the file to work and I just wanted to say thank you. You really put time and effort into this. It's very helpful and I really appreciate it. I might ask for a bit more guidance if you don't mind. Thanks again.

• For the images, you can have a sprite that changes animation based on the text, or add the animations to the array as well.

I would appreciate any input on how to add the image references to the array. I already figured out how to connect the sentences to particular images based on the text (set animation frame to current level), but not by using the array.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)