How do I create the game map/layout/background from an imported image?

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
From the Asset Store
Background Story generation templates. See the Arcade demo.
  • Hello,

I have just started using construct so please forgive me if my question is very stupid!

I am trying to create an rpg game but have not used construct tilemap to create the map for the game. Instead I used a piece of software called "Tiled" on the advice of a friend. I have spent countless hours creating the world map for my game and am now ready to import it into Construct in order to start programming. I now realise that I could have used construct to do everything tiled did which is annoying but more concerning is that I can't seem to work out how to import the image that tiled created of my world map. Please don't tell me I have to recreate the whole thing in construct!

Any help would be gratefully received!!

Regards,

John

• Can Tiled software export TMX or JSON file? I don't know if it will compatible with C3, but you can try:

Also, see this post:

construct.net/en/forum/construct-3/your-construct-3-creations-9/tiledit-import-tiled-tilemap-l-137383

• Hi, Thanks for your message, not sure I understood any of it. But not to worry, have solved my own problem!

I just imported my completed game map as a tileset and used that to recreate the map in construct in the largest chunks possible!

Thanks though!

• Now I don't understand you.. Do you mean you copied the entire big map as an image and imported this image into the TileMap object?

If this is the case, it's a pretty bad solution, for many reasons..

• Hi there,

Yes that is what I have done, It is as you said not a good solution, I have realised that this will run very slowly at the very least!

I guess I will have to remake the whole thing in construct, it kinda makes me want to cry though, it took me hours! Wish my friend had not told me to use tiled!

I have had another look at what you sent me and have no idea what they are talking about. As said I am very new to all this. Is a TMX file what tiled produces? if I import it will it load the map I created or just the tileset I used to make it?

Thanks for your help,

Sorry for my ignorance!

John

• I never used Tiled software myself. Does it have an option to save or export the map in one of these formats - TMX, XML, JSON?

In Construct 3 first you need to import tileset image into the TileMap object, adjust tile size. If you were able to get TMX file from Tiled, you can try to load it in the Tilemap toolbar. If successful, this should load your entire map.

If you don't have TMX file, it still may be possible to import the map. Please share whatever files you got from Tiled and I'll see what can be done.

• Hi,

Thank you so much for your help!

I don't have the folder option shown in your screenshot to import from tmx,the only one I have says import from image. I take it that is not the same thing?

Below is a link to a google drive folder with all the files from tiled and would greatly appreciate any help you can give me!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GGK2I_THUnffmArFM56R05lVtF5ZnzsP?usp=sharing

Thanks again.

John

• I recovered two maps, do they look familiar to you? :)

Here is the C3 project with both tilemaps:

dropbox.com/s/z1xtzogizjjgdzy/LoadedTileMaps.c3p

You didn't provide tileset image files, so you need to double-click each tilemap object and load the correct image file.

For SchoolGreyTM I see you used imgonline-com-ua-ReplaceColor-j76VKh6CUi.jpg

For SchoolObjectsTM you used Schoolobjects.png

There is also a third tileset ("basketball court"), but you didn't send me its tsx file.

• I havent used it for years but am pretty sure that Tiled saves as, or at least exports to, TMX which can be imported to C3.

• I recovered two maps, do they look familiar to you? :)

Here is the C3 project with both tilemaps:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1xtzogizjjgdzy/LoadedTileMaps.c3p?dl=0

You didn't provide tileset image files, so you need to double-click each tilemap object and load the correct image file.

For SchoolGreyTM I see you used imgonline-com-ua-ReplaceColor-j76VKh6CUi.jpg

For SchoolObjectsTM you used Schoolobjects.png

There is also a third tileset ("basketball court"), but you didn't send me its tsx file.

Wow, thank you that is great, how did you do it? what do i need to do? I have the image files and can send you them but I have a project file i would like to add them to so that I don't have to redo all the events I have on the project you provided.

Thank you again for your help!

John

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Try to load correct tileset images into the TileMap objects in my project. If you see that the maps look good, you can simply copy/paste them into your project and replace them in events. (You can select all events, press R and replace one tilemap object with another tilemap object)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)