Collisions and object spawns at lower time scales issue

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
This is a single chapter from the "Construct Starter Kit Collection". It is the Student Workbook for its Workshop.
  • Hi all! I have an object with the platform behaviour on it, I'm using "simulate pressing left/right" to move it (no manual player input). When this object collides with a wall object that has the solid behaviour, the wall spawns a single sprite.

The collision type I am using is "on collision with" - not "is overlapping". This works as expected with the wall object spawning a single sprite on collision, however if I drop the timescale down to say 0.3 instead of spawning 1 object on the collision, it creates many, over and over again.

I'm just wondering why this is, and if there is any way, at these low timescales to ensure that a collision is only checked once. I know that 0.3 is a very low timescale to use, but am experimenting with slow motion effects and wanting to ensure the game presents consistently. Thanks for any insight!

• I'm guessing Platform behavior knocks the character a fraction of a pixel back when it collides with the wall. Maybe with a low timescale it's enough to register a new collision on the next tick.

Try checking if "Platform Has Wall on left/right" in the events where you simulate platform movement. So that if the character is already near a wall it will not move.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks for this idea, only issue is though that the sprite with the platform behaviour needs to patrol back and forth between walls after the collision and checking for a wall will stop this once it has collided. I can live without the slow mo effect but it's making me worry about the reliability of the collisions as they are quite fundamental to progression.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)