How do I change the walk speed and jump height in the Kiwi Story Demo Project?

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Demo Game Multiplayer Online with member registration system
  • Hello, all.

I've been playing around with the demo projects trying to get my feet wet before diving in deep with more advanced tutorials. At the moment, I'm having some difficulty figuring out how to edit certain variables in the Kiwi Story demo project.

Hoping someone can help me figure out how to change the walk speed and jump height. One of the Beginner Platformer tutorials is very easy to follow, just adjust the gravity parameter. But Kiwi Story has a much more sophisticated organization and layout than the beginner examples and I just can't figure out where to adjust the aforementioned actions. I'm sure it's something quite simple but the solution eludes me.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Kiwi Story is a pretty big project! Probably best to mess with the two beginner tutorials more.

Here's how I dug into it...

First I was looking for the events that control inputs. The ePlayer event sheet seemed like a good bet so I started there, and indeed there was a "Player Input" group. This group looked like it had various input methods like keyboard and gamepad doing the same thing, calling the player move/turn functions. The functions I found in the next section below, where I could see that movement used the platform behavior, on the Player_Base object. So the Player_Base object is the one with the platform behavior settings. I found under Object Types > Level Objects > Player > Player_Base.

However when clicking this you might see that all the properties on the left says "No Instances", so we need to find where this object is placed on a layout in the project to set the defaults. You can do this by right clicking the Player_Base object and then "Find all references". The first entry shows that it is on the ObjectBank layout. So open that layout, then you can modify the default platform behavior properties.

Note that half of the above complexity was digging/searching through the organizational structure of someone else's project, you normally would know where things are set in your own project!

• Kiwi Story is a pretty big project! Probably best to mess with the two beginner tutorials more.

Indeed! Clearly, I need to spend more time in the beginner tutorials! I'll relegate myself to those sections until I get a better grasp on the core principles.

I appreciate you taking the time to not only answer the question, but write out the logical steps to the answer so that I have a clear model to use the next time I get stumped. Very kind of you.

Cheers!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)