Change sampling mode at runtime?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
  • Hi,

is there any known way to change the sampling mode at runtime, e.g. from trilinear to point?

Thanks!

• is there a specific reason you would want to do this? I only say it because usually you want all the art of your game to be done at the same resolution so that your pixels sizes remain constant.

Afaik there is no way to do it in C3.. I think there may have been a way to do it in C2 (not sure about that).

• It's technically difficult to support because only WebGL 2+ supports changing the sampling mode, and it's not yet widely supported enough to trust that it will work everywhere.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Actually different renders would be interesting for different layers.

Pixel art for the gui, interpolated for the gameplay, vice versa, etc.

• In my current project I want to offer certain video options to the player, changing the resolution, hi/low quality etc. The only thing missing is the sampling method. Since it will be subject to nw.js export, my uneducated guess would be that changing the sampling rate will always work there (as it already works in the editor)?

• No, NW.js does not mean WebGL 2 is always supported. The support is the same as in the browser.

Why do you want to change the sampling mode, anyway? Normally a game's artwork style is suited to one or the other, and it seems unusual to offer both. Either it will look too blurry or too pixellated in one of the modes. There is no performance impact either way.

• In my current project I want to offer certain video options to the player, changing the resolution, hi/low quality etc.

you can currently change the Quality from low/high

• No, NW.js does not mean WebGL 2 is always supported. The support is the same as in the browser.

Why do you want to change the sampling mode, anyway? Normally a game's artwork style is suited to one or the other, and it seems unusual to offer both. Either it will look too blurry or too pixellated in one of the modes. There is no performance impact either way.

Because reasons ->

Subscribe to Construct videos now

and

Subscribe to Construct videos now

True that per se the sampling method has no (noticeable) impact on perfomance. However, as I might offer different raycasting resolutions (meaning rays cast in function of X resolution), I also might want to change the quality level at some point, as well as the sampling. This is somewhat indifferent to the art style at that point.

Sorry, I failed to specify that I use Chrome for C3 so I was under the impression / hope that the Chromium feature set is the same or similar and offers this.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)