How do I make a button that lower texture size?

0 favourites
  • 6 posts
From the Asset Store
220 Food Sprites in 16x16 pixel size. Perfect for items for a retro style game.
  • I was wondering,

how can i make a button that when is pressed all texture get lower in resolution so i gain better performance?

basically a low graphic setting? Is that possible with construct 3?

• You can set the Fullscreen scaling property from high to low as a system action.

You can use the sprite action load by url.

Or you can make a duplicate layout with the low resolution textures.

The system memory management tools can also be of use.

The latter three are most likely more work than it is worth, when you could just design your game with appropriate specifications for your target device in the first place.

Also note that lowering texture/vram use won't get you "better performance" anyways, depending on how you define performance. If your game is running slow in terms of fps, Vram usage is probably not your problem.

• Also note that lowering texture/vram use won't get you "better performance" anyways, depending on how you define performance. If your game is running slow in terms of fps, Vram usage is probably not your problem.

i tought that big texture was a big part of the problem for performance , that's why i asked this question,

but now that you told me that, how can i find the source of poor performance if vram probably is not the problem?

Thank you for the reply!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • It can be, but running out of vram usually involves long loading times or crashes rather than low fps. How big are your textures and estimated vram use?

Otherwise - construct.net/en/make-games/manuals/construct-3/tips-and-guides/performance-tips

• It can be, but running out of vram usually involves long loading times or crashes rather than low fps. How big are your textures and estimated vram use?

Otherwise - construct.net/en/make-games/manuals/construct-3/tips-and-guides/performance-tips

actually now that i am focusing on the problem i noticed that is more of a crash and long loadings problem instead of a performance problem like i told before, because once is loaded everything is fine,

to answer your question, the textures are 500x500 but there are also some animations also 500x500 with 6/7 frames there are sometime 20 object like that on the screen at the same time, the main character is more complex 1000x1000 with 6 animation and each one with 8 frame, but i wanted to add more things, so i really need to find a solution

also on the phone the game takes a super long time to load but once is loaded works fine, but then as soon as something changes the games freeze for 2/3 seconds then works fine again, so yea loading problem not performance

do you think textures are too big? what should be the ideal size?

also i don't know how to check estimsted vram use can you help me with that?

also is there a way to find exactly what is making the biggest impact on loadings (like for example if it's a specific sprite the problem how can i find him)?

thanks for the link!

i don't know much about this topic so the more you can tell me the better, thanks!

• 1000x1000 is massive. What is your target device? A standard HD screen is only 1080 pixels tall. Does your main character usually fill up the entire screen from top to bottom? There is no point in having a sprite that large if you're going to scale it down anyway. Standard practice is to create your sprites the same size as you plan on displaying them, or upscale them if memory is expected to be an issue. There is usually no reason to downscale, as it is a huge waste of resources.

When you debug a layout, one of the lines under "performance" is estimated memory use. It's not exactly accurate but it can give a general idea, especially relative to other projects. You can try loading up the example projects to see how much memory they use on any given layout.

Here are some additional links for memory management.

construct.net/en/make-games/manuals/construct-3/tips-and-guides/memory-usage

construct.net/en/blogs/construct-official-blog-1/remember-not-waste-memory-796

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)