How do I build the Platformer behavior from the ground up?

0 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
25 high quality isometric ground blocks + sprite sheet
  • I want to give my character some advanced movement, so for this I want to scrap the use of the Platformer behavior and remake it myself through events. Where can I find info on how the behavior actually works so I can have a go at this? I'm inexperienced with the math behind platformer physics and collisions, and my game also has moving platforms and walls, so I need something solid to go off of.

• What exactly are the problems in the standard behavior that you want to change?

I would suggest using the Platform behavior and trying to work around these issues with events, rather than creating your own behavior - this will be an huge job and it probably won't work that well.

• You wont be able to replicate it in events the platforms require constant overlapping checks.

Perhaps with js.

• alright, i'll stick to the behavior then.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • don'T let them dissuade you, try it out and learn a ton of stuff !!!

• Build understanding of what you already have and compare it with another approach or alternatives. That way will open more possibilities towards the goal.

• don'T let them dissuade you, try it out and learn a ton of stuff !!!

You do learn more from failures.

• You should already be able to fully customise the Platform behavior to do whatever you want by using the set vector X/Y actions.

You can try making your own platform movement with events as a learning project. However the Platform behavior's main movement logic is over 1000 lines of some of the toughest JavaScript code I've written in my career. The whole point of Construct is to take these really complicated things and make them easy to use. As with many things in software, some things that seem simple are actually very complicated.

• You can try making your own platform movement with events as a learning project. However the Platform behavior's main movement logic is over 1000 lines of some of the toughest JavaScript code I've written in my career.

Oh wow :O

maybe another time. I wouldn't know where to begin, and I have no idea how to script collisions

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)