Big rpg inventory?

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Jump over the small square and avoid hitting it as long as you can!
  • Hey there! ^_^

Thanks for reading!

So i have a very important question, i am making an RPG game and have like 350 items. I have tried out the inventory tutorials here where its a layer with 0,0 parallax on screen with invis/visible on inventory open.

But with that many items i believe the game will lag? Is it better to make the inventory on a seperate layout? Or can C3 handle this?

Pro games like castlevania games, how do they do this? Is it a diff layout or ontop of screen?

Thanks in advance!

• I think for detailed games it's better to use an array, you store data in there. You can then present it whenever you want, when you open the inventory you create the items.

• I think for detailed games it's better to use an array, you store data in there. You can then present it whenever you want, when you open the inventory you create the items.

U mean to destroy the items when inventory close and re-create all items when inventory open?? Is that better?? ^_^

• > I think for detailed games it's better to use an array, you store data in there. You can then present it whenever you want, when you open the inventory you create the items.

U mean to destroy the items when inventory close and re-create all items when inventory open?? Is that better?? ^_^

Yep

• > > I think for detailed games it's better to use an array, you store data in there. You can then present it whenever you want, when you open the inventory you create the items.

>

> U mean to destroy the items when inventory close and re-create all items when inventory open?? Is that better?? ^_^

Yep

Hmm i see thanks! How does it store stats of each item? Like each item has 5 different stats, is this also in the array for each item?

• Yes it's like a table or grid with cells. You add stats in columns such as item name, type etc. Then the inventory slots relate to the array in some way so it could have an ID which corresponds to each row(x) of the array. This is also useful for swapping around and removing items easily.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Yes it's like a table or grid with cells. You add stats in columns such as item name, type etc. Then the inventory slots relate to the array in some way so it could have an ID which corresponds to each row(x) of the array. This is also useful for swapping around and removing items easily.

Thanks alot! I will look into that! ^_^

So i tried that and the inventory lags enormously when opening/creating all the items. Is there a better way for this? :/

• You should create all objects at the start and destroy them to avoid the lag later on so it isn't loading them for the first time. Also I've never heard of a 350 item inventory before in a game unless maybe it's in pages. Maybe you don't need to show that many items to a player.

• You should create all objects at the start and destroy them to avoid the lag later on so it isn't loading them for the first time. Also I've never heard of a 350 item inventory before in a game unless maybe it's in pages. Maybe you don't need to show that many items to a player.

Its pages yes, also different categories! 10 items shown at once, can scroll down to view furthr items, but this is per category!

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)