Is it better to have a lot of Frames or Animations or Images?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
3 pixel charaters with over 8 animations each + animations with a gun
  • I started writing a backstory for my game and wrote a graphic novel ... for mobile ... and I'm using C3 to create the mobile graphic novel.

ANYWAY, thus far the graphic novel is about 150 pages and one image contains all the pages as frames.

The images aren't animated, but I've started to notice that when I open the C3 preview, it's taking longer and longer to load. Which doesn't surprise me since there are 150 frames in 1 image.

Would it be better to break the image into animations? I'd still have 1 image, but have an animation for each chapter. Example: chapter1 with 25 frames and chapter2 has 25 frames and so on. Still all one image, but with several animations, with each animation having a bunch of frames.

Or would it be better to have an image named chapter1 and a different image for chapter2, and so on and each chapter contains all the frames for that chapter?

Thoughts?

If it helps, this is what it looks like: tiktok.com/t/ZTR7w8oGX

ps The game has yet to be made, but the novel is moving along splendidly.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I don't think there's a difference either way.

I'd approach this by loading images from project files/disk dynamically as needed (preferably ahead of time). Set up a system to only load 10 pages in front or behind the current page into memory and you'll never run into memory limitations no matter how many total pages you have.

• See memory usage in the manual. A better option is separate object for each image, or at least a small number of pages per object. Then Construct will be able to load only some images at a time and leave the others out of memory, and you can also use the system actions to load/unload object images if needed. If you have all pages in the same object, then Construct will load everything in to memory, and it will be slow and have an extremely high memory usage.

Loading dynamically from URLs is another option - you could import all your pages as image files in the project 'Files' folder, and load them one at a time from there, which will also avoid having them all in memory at the same time (as loading an image from a URL to a Sprite will replace the current image).

• Ashley,

Really? A separate object for each image would be better. I thought it was better to put all the images into the fewest number of objects.

Using a separate object for each image would be much easier.

Thanks! I'll do that.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)