Asset loading / management

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
Manage time and money, plan the best strategy to make all the customers happy in your restaurant, a hotel, cafe, or any
  • Hi All,

New C3 user here, been enjoying things so far :) Just wanted to ask how C3's asset management works please.

If I had 100 sprites with 50 placed in one layout and 50 in another does Construct try and download all 100 during startup?

If I'm right C3 loads into memory what it need for that layout but I'm not sure when things are downloaded, do we have any control over that?

Cheers!

• Hi All,

New C3 user here, been enjoying things so far :) Just wanted to ask how C3's asset management works please.

If I had 100 sprites with 50 placed in one layout and 50 in another does Construct try and download all 100 during startup?

If I'm right C3 loads into memory what it need for that layout but I'm not sure when things are downloaded, do we have any control over that?

Cheers!

All images and sounds usually are preloaded at the beginning of the app, when the loading bar usually appears.

Check the manual for more about this.

And no you don't really have control over the images/sounds download/load. Usually if its inside your projects is preloaded when the app starts, if its not in your project files, then probably you will be importing them via js calls from a server and then you would control each asset download/import as you requesting it.

But Regarding the C3 loads memory and multiple images, when u export your project all images inside of your project are turned into 1 sprite sheet so the engine loads them all very fast. Its not like takes each image separated file by file. its all loaded at once ... of sorts.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Many thanks for the response.

I was thinking about messenger games where speed of startup can be critical and if there's lot of assets could the downloads be staggered or something.

I see C3 creates atlases which as you've mentioned keeps the server visits low. To be honest don't think my games will be huge in terms of assets but was curious to know how its all working.

I also see C3 has a 'Load image from URL' action for sprites which could be handy but I'm guessing I would lose the sprite atlas advantages like lower draw calls and so on.

Thanks again.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)