dop2000, yep, that's exactly how I was doing things at first. As you say, it's actually very clean and easy to work with that way. I didn't even need a sprite, I had an array as each player and then the array can itself have attached variables for easy reading (salary etc) and the array can be used for any junk numbers. I suspect that arrays might perform a bit better.
Another real advantage is that it's super easy to find, for example, all the players in one team just by picking against the 'Team' variable.
My worry was that I really need a league with 64 teams and ~50 players per team, so that's 3200 objects. C3 doesn't really seem to mind that but I'm worried that down the line it might get a bit heavy.
But now I think about it, I can't really remember why I decided against this approach. I had a few screens half working but abandoned it (in C2) because it wasn't looking very good. Then recently I saw this JS thing and realised that I really like this idea. I think I just like raw coding when it comes to complex arrays and loads of calculations. But now you mention it, maybe I should give it another crack this way in C3 and see how it handles it. Maybe 3200 objects won't bother C3 at all.
Diego, thanks, I'll take a look through that and see how it works out. Either way, I like experimenting and seeing how things work. I might try to go raw C3 or I might go mostly JS, need to play around and see what works out best.