How do you approach tilemaps?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
  • Hi,

This is more of a "how do [YOU]"...question.

I am curious how people approach tilemaps. Do you use one tilemap and make sure all of your tiles are in it or do you have a tilemap for specific purposes? For example, in my new adventure into tilemaps, I have access to zip file that has multiple tile maps based on seasons, temples, dungeons, etc..., and it is quite annoying to work with so I have been trying to find ways to consolidated them all into 1 tilemap for Construct 3. It's been painful, but the work is paying off for me due to experiencing the work involved in making things just right. I am not afraid of work, myself being a BI/ data science professor by day.

But then I am wondering how you handle things like an impassible rock on a road. Do you use a sprite for the rock? Do you have two tilemaps overlaying each other? One for the rock which could be mined away and one for the road which would allow the character to move faster than not on the road? Or do you have another tile which is in fact the road and a rock and then when it's mined, switch the tile to a road tile only?

Thanks!

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I have lots of layers. I never make the tile itself not passable, I have a tile for not passable water, one for not passable solid, etc. There is a tile map that is just various states of not passable--or extra fast like movement on a flat road. The tiles themselves are just for show and don't have properties. That layer could just as well be a big image.

Things like flamable, cold, etc are properties on yet another tile sheet layer.

yours

winkr7

• Layered tilemaps are really really powerful. There's just so much more you can do with layered maps that you can't do (or at least is harder to do) with a single one. But if it's a simple project and that's all you need, then go for it. It's all a matter of whatever makes it easier and faster to work on your own project.

I don't think it's a good idea to force yourself to use one consolidated tilemap if it gives you new mechanical issues to work through. On the other hand, if it makes more sense to you that way and is easier to work with, then that makes sense too. In the end, as long as it works right the player isn't going to be able to talk a difference anyway. Just stay flexible.

• Thanks! Learning a lot.

That's the direction I've been thinking. Right now, I am consolidating the seasonal pieces (winter, summer, etc... and buildings because that makes sense to me and I think they were just separated due to the artist but now I am rethinking that) but the things that have to do with potential destruction/farming/mining, etc..., are on their own layer and the road (speed control )is on its own too.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)