Anyone used Dialogue Designer?

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Create complex dialogues with ease with this tool/template!
  • radmatt.itch.io/dialogue-designer

Picked this up and I'm struggling to get even a simple dialogue file running in a test project.

Has anyone had any luck using this program? It seems like a pretty cool little thing, kind of reminds me of Twine, but I have no idea how to implement it and the documentation doesn't really help.

If anyone has a sample .cp3 that shows how to get this running then I'd buy them a beer.

***EDIT***

I spent some time on this and made an example project. Looks like I owe myself a beer! :D

construct.net/en/tutorials/dialogue-designer-construct-2624

• radmatt.itch.io/dialogue-designer

Picked this up and I'm struggling to get even a simple dialogue file running in a test project.

Has anyone had any luck using this program? It seems like a pretty cool little thing, kind of reminds me of Twine, but I have no idea how to implement it and the documentation doesn't really help.

If anyone has a sample .cp3 that shows how to get this running then I'd buy them a beer.

Hi

LukeW

Could you go into more detail with this? - what is not working?

I can take a look for you if you would like - Is this a plugin you upload to c3 or is it a program that generates a JSON file - if so you can post the JSON file and let me know what you want to do with it.

• Hi LaurenceBedford, thanks for the reply.

It's a program that generates a json file from an editor, which can then be imported into a number of toolkits.

My issue is that I don't really have any experience using json and am struggling a bit with the existing docs. I know I need to use the ajax object to request the file, then use json to parse ajax.lastdata, but after that I'm lost.

Here's a very simple example json generated by it:

dropbox.com/s/u17sw9mjby3ocmz/test1.json

• That was generated from this:

• Hi LaurenceBedford, thanks for the reply.

It's a program that generates a json file from an editor, which can then be imported into a number of toolkits.

My issue is that I don't really have any experience using json and am struggling a bit with the existing docs. I know I need to use the ajax object to request the file, then use json to parse ajax.lastdata, but after that I'm lost.

Here's a very simple example json generated by it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u17sw9mjby3ocmz/test1.json?dl=0

Ok I will take a look do you want it to display something specifically from the file?

• That was generated from this:

Oh ok so do you want me to get that working in c3-

on start of layout display text from JSON - wait x seconds from JSON file - display next line?

• yeah, exactly. and a second text that displays the name (player or bob).

I know this should be fairly easy, but I'm struggling for some reason :/

• I have tried to parse the JSON but it keeps going wrong this is the basics:

You may have to contact the dev to provide an example.

Where it says nodes.0.text that is where you get the value from the JSON but that does not seem to work for me.

• ahh okay, thanks anyway.

• You can read data from the file, but it's difficult to figure out the structure:

dropbox.com/s/e5lhzj0t2kg1t5v/JSON_example.c3p

If this is a commercial tool, it should probably come with some documentation and examples..

• You can find the structure here

radmatt.itch.io/dialogue-designer-documentation

I'm currently working on parsing this right now, should have most features done in a few days here if you're still interested, I can upload a tutorial

• Sure would be. Cheers

• Thought I would add an update to this post as it's the second result that Google gives when you search for 'Dialogue Designer Construct 3'.

I've spent the last week playing around with this and, using the excellent tutorial series that Laura created on JSON dialogue systems as a basis, I now have a fairly function C3 project that works with Dialogue Designer. I'm happy to share it with anyone else who's struggling, though if I'm being honest, once I got my head around how to work with JSON structures, it all largely fell into place.

It was also super useful running the Dialogue Designer JSON exports through a JSON beautifier to actually make it readable.

Anyway, if anyone is struggling with it and wants a working example, here's the link: https://www.construct.net/en/tutorials/dialogue-designer-construct-2624

Cheers

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Thanks for the example LukeW! I just bought dialogue designer and was going to work through my own importer in C3, but I see you've already done that!

It would be awesome to get a plugin for it so it's more streamlined.

• Hey Fib

That version online is a pretty outdated now, but hopefully it will help get you started. The version I'm using now has a lot of extra stuff, such as being able to call animations from within text dialogue, supporting multiple paths so that lines aren't going all over the place (this is pretty essential imo), and supporting more conditional options.

Unfortunately, the new version is tied pretty closely to my own project. I went to pull it apart to update the tutorial, but it was a bit of a pita, and I wasn't sure how beneficial it would be to anyone as I figured that once you get started with this sort of thing, it kind of makes sense anyway, so I didn't bother.

If you want to discuss it further, feel free to hit me up over Discord. One day I'll get round to updating the tutorial...

Cheers

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)