How do I animate this type of water?

1 favourites
  • 9 posts
From the Asset Store
Tileset with underwater deep sea theme. Suitable for adventure, action, or similar games.
  • As below. It's a combination of large tiles and sprites for certain interactive parts. Really scratching my head about how to give the water a bit of life, as right now it's completely static.

Things like the rocks will be separate sprites, so I can animate them no worries, but the tiles are another matter. Suppose I could create an animated sprite of the water edge an overlay it on the image, but I feel like that's not ideal.

Any suggestions?

• When needing to animate tilemap tiles, there are a few options. Creating sprites for just the parts you need animated works, like you said. You can also either layer the tilemaps and cycle through them by toggling visibility, or have the animation frames in the tileset and cycle through the tiles dynamically by events. Third way that may be more efficient if you have a highly dynamic coastline would be to maybe draw it at runtime using the drawing canvas plugin.

Finally, although I'm just theorycrafting at this point, I feel like you should be able to manage something with a low resolution static sprite in the shape of the coastline with a gradient, scale it, and use the alpha clamp effect to have it shrink and grow.

• If you're using tilemaps, try this method

taken from this thread: construct.net/en/forum/construct-3/general-discussion-7/whats-preferred-method-149506

• Think this might work (using the water effect on a separate layer)

• Think this might work (using the water effect on a separate layer)

Wait, is there a plugin or a behavior to achieve that moving water effect?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • That looks great! Didn't realize that effect existed. For how well construct is documented otherwise, the effects documentations are conspicuously missing.

• > Think this might work (using the water effect on a separate layer)

>

>

Wait, is there a plugin or a behavior to achieve that moving water effect?

It's just the water effect. You can access them in the properties bar.

Also added a sine behaviour on the opacity to get that fade in/out effect.

• LukeW , thanks I'm gonna try it out :))

• LukeW , thanks I'm gonna try it out :))

Sounds good. With the ground, I added a semi transparent section to the bottom of the sand and rocks (50% opacity brush from memory) so that it looks more like they are disappearing into the water. Otherwise it looks like the land and water are too separate.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)