How Do I Add Blank Event Above/Below

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
An educational game for Fill in the Blanks. An easy to use template for developers to build larger games
  • I see in C3 the option to add event below or above, but how do I do a blank event above/below? I don't see the option.

I can add a blank sub-event and reposition it for now.

Thanks

• would wait work? if you just need a blank function to act for a tick wait 0 seconds should do the trick, or set the previous action as a trigger etc. not sure exactly what youre trying to do but if you provide more info i can probably help w a workaround

• would wait work? if you just need a blank function to act for a tick wait 0 seconds should do the trick, or set the previous action as a trigger etc. not sure exactly what youre trying to do but if you provide more info i can probably help w a workaround

Hi,

I am trying to add a blank event above or below my cursor. This is a very quick and efficient way to handle moving code around and injecting certain functions into the code. It basically shaves a few seconds off here and there.

If that does not explain it well enough, I can include a sample picture of what I mean

• if on desktop, add an event, any event.

for this instance just use system and whatever the first option is.

when you click the line of code youll notice that theres sections.

if you click all the way on the left it selects the entire event, triggers, actions, etc.

if you click just system, it selects just system, same with actions.

so, if you create any event, you can then select just the triggering event, as opposed to the entire event, and press delete.

it takes a few seconds, however, it allows you to have a blank event as a placeholder.

on the right hand side, if you Left click where it says +Add... after +Add action, it will allow you to add an event above or below another event.

hopefully thats of some help

• (edit) double post.

• if on desktop, add an event, any event.

for this instance just use system and whatever the first option is.

when you click the line of code youll notice that theres sections.

if you click all the way on the left it selects the entire event, triggers, actions, etc.

if you click just system, it selects just system, same with actions.

so, if you create any event, you can then select just the triggering event, as opposed to the entire event, and press delete.

it takes a few seconds, however, it allows you to have a blank event as a placeholder.

on the right hand side, if you Left click where it says +Add... after +Add action, it will allow you to add an event above or below another event.

hopefully thats of some help

Amazing suggestion! This is exactly what I do today. I am glad I am not the only one that does this little trick The addition of +Add Before/After is a nice treat.

I was hoping there would be an add before/after blank. But you are right, it is quick and easy to add an action and delete it. More-so a small annoyance of mine (that extra click adds up over the projects lifetime, efficiency and all).

I started also copying/pasting a bunch of blank events so I can quickly insert where needed for now.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Press "B" to add a blank sub event that you can then move around

• Press "B" to add a blank sub event that you can then move around

holy...you my man, rock. internet high five, I am so happy right now

it automatically adds it to the end of the current event (or subevent) which isn't quite what I need, but it will do as this alone saves about 1-2 seconds per blank event I need...which adds up (probably about an hour or two worth of time a year?). Thanks man.

• yeah i think hes looking to just add a blank event instead of a sub event; but if youre just using it as a placeholder/reminder that something will eventually go there, you can also add comments, and then write in what you want to put at a later time, i.e "score system goes here" and then next time you open up its not just a blank event like uhmmmmm whatd i want here. lol.

• yeah i think hes looking to just add a blank event instead of a sub event; but if youre just using it as a placeholder/reminder that something will eventually go there, you can also add comments, and then write in what you want to put at a later time, i.e "score system goes here" and then next time you open up its not just a blank event like uhmmmmm whatd i want here. lol.

Not a reminder, but when adding different sections of code, doing updates or upgrades to the code, inserting events before another event, refactoring, copying/pasting code, and a few other uses that I use it for it in my books.

For example:

Function "createPlayer"

---->create player sprite

---->move player sprite to final location

---->...some other logic needed for create

Lets say you update this function later, and you need to do something after creating player sprite but before moving it like so:

Function "createPlayer"

-----> some new action, maybe add a new sprite that will get pinned

You would need to add a new event to "CreatePlayer" which ends up at the bottom of the function:

Function "createPlayer"

-----> some new action, maybe add a new sprite that will get pinned

----> Our new (blank) event to contain some actions

You then need to move this (which is a tad cumbersome). Move the "new event" which is at the bottom of the function, to just after the create player sprite. And, if this is a really large function (breaking some coding practices, but that's OK) then moving it is tedious at times.

Anyways, that is how I typically would use it. It is a time/frustration saver for the blank event sheet because I could do this:

Function "createPlayer"

----> Quick and easy blank event

Once the blank even is there, you can create your logic. Referencing the events around it as needed. No mess, no fuss.

In reality it is a couple seconds saved every-time this is done. But when you do 5000+ events, a couple seconds adds up.

This is of course, one example of usage.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)