How do I access Array actions via a string?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Forget about default textbox restrictions, you can create sprites atop of the textbox
  • Hi! Is it possible to use a variable instead of the array object name somehow?

I made a function to show data (loop to create text objects) and added a parameter but it seems there is no way to use the parameter in the array actions. I added x sub events with compare param = xxx and then copied to actions to each subevent. Now I have to change all sub events when I make adjustments. It would be much easier if you could replace the fixed array.At() with a string.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Not sure I fully understand your question.. You can add all arrays to a family, add an instance variable Type, set it for each array object. For example one array will have Type="buildings", another Type="resources" etc.

And use it like this:

Function ArraySetValue
    parameter t
    parameter i
    parameter v
    	ArraysFamily compare variable Type=t
    		ArraysFamily set at X=i, value=v

// Usage: 
    	Call function ArraySetValue (t="buildings", i=23, v=2000)
    	Call function ArraySetValue (t="resources", i=0, v=1.5)

• another thing you can do is use a dictionary. I read a lot of data from an Database. I can send a query to the database, and it returns a list of the field names, and then all the matching records. the field names get loaded into a dictionary called "Fields", and the records get loaded into an array.

then I can access the data like:

array.at(RecordNumber, Fields.Get("FirstName"))

if I change the query, and the FirstName field ends up in a different position in the array, the dictionary automatically takes care of that when it gets loaded - so I don't have to update any code.

And, like dop said, if you have multiple array objects, you can can put them in a family, and pass the UID of the array object you are interested into a function, and pick that by UID inside the function.

• Thanks for your replies!

Only used families to spawn a random enemy and did not remember you can use them for actions.

I added a family instance var and set the 2 array IDs to BL3 and BL2.

I tried this and it seems to work fine. :)

+ System: On start of layout

-> Array: Set value at 0 to "BL3"

-> Array2: Set value at 0 to "BL2"

----+ System: Pick Family1 by evaluating Family1.ID="BL2"

-----> Text: Set text to Family1.At(0)

When I change the pick ID it shows a different value.

• Actually, you don't need a family. Arrays can also have multiple instance. So you can create 5 instances of Array object and store different data in them. Pick any instance of Array with an instance variable.

• How do you create instances of arrays? Ctrl+drag works for sprites and other objects, but arrays are no object in the editor. With System Create object?

dop2000

• you do it in the event sheet - System Create Object ArrayName

you can also add an array to a container. Then, whenever an instance of the container is created the array will also get created (and automatically picked with the container).

• Thanks! I'll try it. 👍

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)