3D objects are too tall in the editor, how do you reduce the FOV of the 3D projection in the editor?

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Supports 1D, 2D, 3D arrays. Import and export arrays in JSON format
  • When it comes to 3D objects, everything in the editor is much taller than it is in-game. For instance, 3D objects may look like perfect cubes in the editor - while having less than half the height in-game.

Since even a moderately tall object will extend far beyond the edge of the viewport, it makes it impossible to work comfortably with arranging 3D objects.

It's almost as if the 3D projection in the editor has an extreme FOV effect applied.

Is there any way to visually reduce the height of the 3D objects in the editor so that small objects don't appear taller than they are in-game?

Thanks in advance.

• In the project properties you can set the z scale from normalized to regular.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • In the project properties you can set the z scale from normalized to regular.

That doesn't change the extreme Z-scaling in the editor. It just changes the unit that is used for Z-scaling. It might look like it fixes the problem because it makes everything less tall in the editor, but that's because it also makes everything less tall in-game - which makes everything look squished. As soon as you increase the height of everything to make it look normal again, you're back where you started.

• You'll unfortunately have to re-adjust the zheights of everything after that change. It's typically the first thing I change when working with 3d. Apart from that I don't know how to fix the extreme editor z scaling.

• You'll unfortunately have to re-adjust the zheights of everything after that change. It's typically the first thing I change when working with 3d. Apart from that I don't know how to fix the extreme editor z scaling.

Yeah but again, it doesn't fix the issue. It just changes the unit to a smaller one. The Z-scaling in the editor will be the same regardless.

• I don’t think we have any control over that at this point then. Maybe that’s something that can be fixed with a bug report.

If it’s distracting enough one idea would be to use a lower z scale in the layout editor and scaling it up at the start of the layout when the game runs. It could be a somewhat doable workaround for now. So say in the editor you’d use half scale and then double it in events:

start of layout
    — set zelevation to self.zelevation*2
    — set depth to self.depth*2

A third idea could be to make an in game level editor. Could be an interesting thing to attempt.

• When using Z axis scale 'Regular', a 'Field of view' property also appears in Project Properties, which lets you control the FOV used in both the editor and runtime.

• When using Z axis scale 'Regular', a 'Field of view' property also appears in Project Properties, which lets you control the FOV used in both the editor and runtime.

Ah that's fantastic. Exactly what I needed. Thank you!

EDIT:

Actually, this changes the FOV in-game too.

Is there no way to change it in just the editor?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)