(32x32) Sprites ~VS~ Tiled Background = RAM and CPU usage ?

0 favourites
  • 4 posts
From the Asset Store
An urban action gameboy Gamepack featuring sprites destined for action games
  • Hey All,

While working on my game, I used tile map and collision layer with sprites which are invisible.

I wonder what will be more efficient for other machines, or maybe it's not that critical at all:

I'm guessing that tiled background are lighter because they are not animated and stretched seamlessly.

But I realize that I may need to use almost all the stage with Sprites (yes, even walls, floor etc) as animated and more "living" like environment for the level design.

Basically, What if most of the tiles are animated, many instances of 32x32 Sprites (animated loop) one next to each other. Is it critical compare to how much CPU or RAM it will cost?

Or maybe it's so minor that I can freely do that with no worries, even many animated layers?

I wonder if it's something I shouldn't do at all and stay "primitive" static tile backgrounds as possible or if I can do this without worry because the CPU and RAM are not critical on that department.

I'm guessing it's also related to GPU as it will draw the pixels, but I'm wondering generally so feel free to let me know, if you did some tests and saw a HUGE or LITTLE differences, I'm curious to know as I'm still learning Construct 3 as I work on my game.

Thanks ahead and sorry about my bad English.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I wonder if it's something I shouldn't do at all and stay "primitive" static tile backgrounds as possible or if I can do this without worry because the CPU and RAM are not critical on that department.

You should always try to minimize the stress on hardware where possible, sometimes you won't have a choice, but when you do it's worth the work. This is due to the fact that you will still be adding things to the game or may want to after release, because you'll never know its important to keep room for it.

• They should be exactly the same, but with different functionality. I tried it out with some bunnymark test that circulated forum sometime ago. It was just plank test with spawn and moving, if you add frames etc then i don't know how much difference it will have.

• Thanks for the replies guys,

I guess I will have to find out by myself but I'll better test on other computers since in my I get 140+ fps, while in the other PC I get around 27-38fps (a brand new i3 PC) I will also try to test it on a total different machine but... this is confusing, the difference is HUGE.

I'm guessing something may be wrong in my project even that it's pretty much not complicated (yet) but still I get 140+ fps every time on my machine, I'm guessing it's an old i7 (from around 4-5 years ago).

I'm curious what will it act once I'll design my levels with animated Sprites as the tiles...

can't get any better I guess.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)