The worst thing on C3: I'll lose my projects

0 favourites
From the Asset Store
Jump on the mole rats and see how far you can go!
  • I have signed the C3 subscription for a year to experiment this new format which did not please me from the beginning. However, the biggest problem is what happens after the signature ends: you can not even edit your projects and that is not right. I paid for this service for a year and I created some projects that I never can edit or fix some buggies if I don't renew the C3 signature. I don't want to sign this service again. I don't like this format of payment and I think C3 it's not so better than C2 for me have to pay more for this program.

Scirra: it's not fair that I cannot edit the files that I created in this version when I had a subscription once I have paid for this. Why I have to pay a new subscription to edit or fix a project that I already paid to create? I'm really very frustrated with this situation. In my opinion, I should just lose the right to create new projects.

• In my opinion, I should just lose the right to create new projects.

This would never work. It would be trivial to abuse it to have unlimited features permanently.

• Just to edit the old files. Not to create a new one. Do you think it's fair for me to lose the files I developed in C3 or have to pay a new subscription just to edit or fix them?

Edited: I really don't know what is the better solution to avoid a possible abuse, but I think the Scirra needs to create a solution for this situation. Maybe removing the "Save as" and "New project" options from the menu, maybe removing also the "Export option" and the user needs to send you the file to be generated directly by the Scirra staff, or even maybe Scirra offering a daily/weekly subscription to allow the C3 old user edit/fix their projects.

• Just to edit the old files. Not to create a new one.

So then people will copy-paste their project file, delete it down to an empty project, and then still get unlimited features permanently. There's no technical way to distinguish that from just creating a new project, so it's infeasible to add a restriction like that.

Would a monthly subscription help make it more affordable for light occasional maintenance?

• I think a monthly or even weekly subscription is a good idea for those who simply want to maintain a published game project.

• Monthly subscriptions are actually a good business strategy as well... Adobe does it as well as quite some other software or online services i'm using. Might lower the hurdle for people to get into C3. Some even just offer like quarterly subscriptions of three months instead of monthly. Obviously, the yearly subscriptions will stay the best deal, broken down to individual months, which is pretty common too.

• It might also interest people who want to enter a game jam, which typically dont last that long.

• Which means more moneys for Scirra :) I myself will stick with the yearly subscription but i use C3 pretty regularly and can afford it so.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • > Just to edit the old files. Not to create a new one.

So then people will copy-paste their project file, delete it down to an empty project, and then still get unlimited features permanently. There's no technical way to distinguish that from just creating a new project, so it's infeasible to add a restriction like that.

I am not advocating this action. I think there are users who would do this sort of thing. My frustration is only about the fact that I can not edit/fix my files.

Would a monthly subscription help make it more affordable for light occasional maintenance?

From what I know this is already an option. Am I wrong? Anyway, a weekly subscription is a better option for me in some cases. For example, I created 10 games and I need to change something in these games each month like change an AD service for a better one, for example, a weekly subscription will help me very well, instead of a monthly subscription. But I think that you should offer several types of subscriptions like the others suggested: diary/weekly/monthly/quarterly/half yearly/yearly. Logically, with (really) small price variations once the main idea here is to offer greater ease to the C3 users and not to enrich Scirra even more.:)

• The yearly sub surely hurts new subscriber numbers.

Especially as the free package is too restrictive to convey the full capabilities of Construct 3

Monthly or even weekly subs is a fantastic way to get new subs and let people try the full software.

Im sure it is why the likes of Netflix are so successful.

People don’t think twice about paying £7 PM for a year

but ask them to pay £70 per year for exactly the same thing then they be like “naaaa”

Imagine being able to try the full Construct 3 for say £3 per week.

That must be very enticing to new users,

and solves the "I only want to edit my project once a year" problem

• Monthly subscription is such a good idea. hope it will realized soon

• In my personal opinion, subscriptions (daily, monthly, yearly) are crap. But this is sadly a trend for all. It's unbelievable, but i also have to pay for my VideoEditor (KineMaster) on Android 4$ every month. I know, this is NOT the Subject of this thread, but i only want to say. I miss the good old days, were you could pay ONCE for a product and then it was yours.

• In my personal opinion, subscriptions (daily, monthly, yearly) are crap. But this is sadly a trend for all. It's unbelievable, but i also have to pay for my VideoEditor (KineMaster) on Android 4$ every month. I know, this is NOT the Subject of this thread, but i only want to say. I miss the good old days, were you could pay ONCE for a product and then it was yours.

I cannot agree more on this but you must have noticed that even with the discontent of a good part of its users, this is not a concern for Scirra. Then we have to try to negotiate with them how to avoid being enslaved by this annual subscription. Instead of using the good old C2 to create my projects, which is mine, I decided to use C3 for this. Now I feel like a hostage of them because I cannot do any editing on these projects unless I renew my subscription, that is, I paid to produce them and now I have to pay again to edit them.

Ashley: Do you have any news about this subject? I really need to edit my projects. Thanks.

• We have thousands of customers who are happy to pay with the current pricing model, and it helps us make a better product with a more sustainable business model. People occasionally suggest variations with such big loopholes you could drive a bus for them; obviously that would be bad for the business and end up with a worse product, so we won't do that.

• You rent a tool to build your house. After done, you return this tool.

Everytime you need to repair your house, you must rent this tool again? or just come and take this tool for free?

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)