WEBMs instead of Sprites

0 favourites
  • 8 posts
From the Asset Store
Build your map with these isometric objects and terrains
  • So I've got an NPC that has an idle animation. Like any idle animation, she doesn't move much. Here's one frame:

If I convert all the frames to a WEBM, it's 95% smaller!

Google Drive link to WEBM.

Has anyone tried to replace sprites in their project with the video object and use WEBMs? Does anyone know of a way to preload multiple videos into the video object, to use them like different animations for a sprite?

Tagged:

• I've seen a project with hundreds of webm videos. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use it for a character, but you can definitely have videos for background animations like sky, grass etc.

I don't know if it's possible to quickly load another videos in order to use them as animations. You can preload multiple videos in multiple instances of Video object and keep them hidden or off-screen. When you need to change the character animation, hide the current video and un-hide another.

• I've seen a project with hundreds of webm videos.

That's good to know, as I was worried about CPU usage with playing multiple WEBMs simultaneously. If you're at liberty to share any more details about that project, like who is making or it where I could find it, that'd be greatly appreciated.

You can preload multiple videos in multiple instances of Video object

That'd work in a normal Construct 3 project but DaggerQuest is anything but that.

The player character is actually 16 different sprites: (body, head armor, chest armor, leg armor, boots, gloves, main hand, off hand, and shadows for each of those)

and each sprite has 12 animations in 16 different directions:

Ideally what's needed is something similar to the sprite's actions to load and unload images from memory. An action for the Video object to load or unload a project file.

• In your first post you mentioned you want to use videos for an idle NPC which doesn't move much. I would definitely not recommend this for the main character, especially modular and with so many different animations.

I feel C3 may not be the right engine for this kind of game.

• You're correct, but I'm hesitant as replacing sprites wholesale with WEBMs, while theoretically possible, isn't being done in any other engine or game as far as I'm aware. I'll give it shot but I'll be back to Construct again if it doesn't work. haha

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I think I saw in the latest what’s new video there’s an option to compress images to webm now.

• Just know that webm doesn't work on iOS devices.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)