web worker on by default, why exactly?

0 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
Easily add web monetization to your game and start earning money from supporting visitors.
  • I did read the blog/article and even from that I concluded that it only really works in Chrome which is already questionable since may people do not use chrome.

Even in Chrome on android it makes some games completely unplayable ( 2 FPS ), games that with web worker disabled run just fine. A few phones tested, some lower end and Samsung Galaxy

Jank issue benefits, not seeing it. Exporting games with web worker mode on. jank is still there where there was there previously ( desktop and android )

With web worker mode on, full screen only seems to work over https, some other things also do not work, so that is another annoyance.

Am I missing something here? I just don't see the benefit of this right now. Exporting with web worker mode on will possibly make it unplayable for 50% of the population

• It is true that unless you have multiple cores there will be no benefit, but multiple cores are already pretty prevalent.

Chrome has 69% of the market share.

Edge basically is Chrome, and Firefox... well lets just say its not looking good.

• I've never seen any such performance issues. In my testing worker mode has always been at least as fast as DOM mode. In some cases it's much faster, especially if it has to do significant main thread work, as described in the blog post. It's also been the default for over 6 months now and I've never heard of any other such complaints specific to worker mode, so as far as I can tell all the evidence is it works fine for the vast majority of users.

If you have serious performance issues I'd advise filing an issue at crbug.com with details about the device so Google can look in to it. I can't think of any reason at all there would be any serious performance reduction in worker mode. As the blog post describes, it should be better and smoother, since there is less chance the browser can interrupt it.

Fullscreen mode only working on HTTPS is nothing to do with worker mode. Many browser features require secure hosting now, including fullscreen mode, regardless of worker mode.

• Fullscreen mode only working on HTTPS is nothing to do with worker mode. Many browser features require secure hosting now, including fullscreen mode, regardless of worker mode.

Well, full screen mode does not work with worker mode on, if I disable it, full screen works. Same device, soobviously it has something to do with worker mode.

As for performance. Game works normally without worker mode, with worker mode on crawls at 2 FPS.

Issue was 20 sprites on top of each other. Changing that fixed it, but it did not need to be fixed without worker mode on, game worked fine even with those 20 sprites on top of each other.

I know this has something to do with devices in question, but between this and complaints about webview I think things are not as fine as they may seem. Let's say you make a soccer game, and soccer is popular in South America. You are gonna have a disproportionately large number of players with low end and very old devices. Even in the US, I have friends who cannot test my game because of these things and their phones are about 2 years old.

• Well, full screen mode does not work with worker mode on, if I disable it, full screen works. Same device, soobviously it has something to do with worker mode.

I just tried it and fullscreen mode works just fine with worker mode on.

As for device performance, in over 6 months of having it enabled by default and used by thousands of people, I've not heard any such issues. It seems like only you or your specific device may be affected. As noted the only way to make progress on that would be to file an issue at crbug.com, since it would be related to the Chrome browser engine.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • You are right, full screen works on my laptop, but on an older Samsung Galaxy it does not ( works if I disable worker mode ) and I had those performance issues on that same phone.

Normally all games work fine on that same phone, so not sure what it could be.

If this really is such an outlier of a case that is good news, but I am not feeling too confident between this and those webview issues.

Chrome has 69% of the market share

So what happens to the other 31% that try to play a game exported with worker mode ON?

Also of that 69% using Chrome how many are using old versions which do not support worker mode?

Does the game simply not take advantage of that and plays as it would if exported without worker mode ( doubtful from my experience ), or does it go wonky?

• If worker mode is not supported, it's automatically switched off, and the game continues to run normally.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)