versions of app?

0 favourites
  • 2 posts
From the Asset Store
The internet is bombarded daily with new apps (app is the short term for application)
  • Other than backups, I am curious if people keep older versions of their app/software/game and why.

Also how do you all number your version numbers?

x.y.z

X is the version of the game. It doesn't change unless you release a new version of the game.

I assume y is a large update in the game, as in a new features. Does this cover characters and levels?

So z would be just updates on software/patches and how things work or would this be characters and levels?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • On a personal note, I save new instances of my project file as I'm developing it during the day.

I keep those files because if I need to revert back to a previous working version (due to me messing it up, or at times, a Construct update introducing breaking changes) I have them at hand.

I also keep them for maintenance and additions (I have some modifications I might need to do on a project that was released more than a year ago for example).

I do a 4 level version X.Y.Z.a.

When saving a project version on my local hard drive, 'a' might be a letter from a to z, allowing me for, at least, 26 instances of the same version in the day (focusing on the file's name here).

At times, I add a new feature in, or develop some stuff, make a backup save and change the 'a' accordingly.

ie: 0.1.12.g

This doesn't work for export on mobile though, where a number is required instead as version number.

So when I'm getting nearer to making export to mobile (for tests), I switch this to using numbers instead.

ie: 1.0.2.9

Otherwise, the X.Y.Z are pretty much how you assume. X is the main version number, being 0 as long as I haven't officially released yet. Y is "minor" revisions. Z is a number that increases more often.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)