UX - The tabs

0 favourites
  • 11 posts
  • Now i would like to call this a bug but that forum section seems dedicated to technical issues.

UX Bug

• The effect of the active tab is really subtle. It's so subtle that it's hard to tell what tab is open at least when the tabs have a colored background.
    • There is no visual representation to connect the active tab to what window is open. For example in construct 2 you did a colored line around the window that had the same color as the active tabs background.

UX Other

• When there are many tabs open they push down the active window area instead of grouping them together at the end of the tab-area. I guess this is the typical 50/50 thing, some people like it some people don't. I would say that it currently breaks your design and adds to the feeling that there is no real connection of the active tab with the active window.
    • The "Free Edition | Username | UserPhoto" in the "tab-area" can already be found in the Menu and where it is placed now it just takes up space where it could make room for more tabs. It's also nothing you need to get access to quickly. I guess if you wan't people that uses a free version to sub, you wan't to poke them that they should sub, then it's a great area for a "sub now-button". But for the users that are subscribing it seems unnecessary.

Design

• Overall the clean/flat design works great for construct 3. But the clean/flat design seems to be missed on the tabs, instead they have a shadow/gradient with round corners and more of a 90s web feeling. The only thing that feels like it doesn't belong there.

Overall it's a great tool and i can't wait to get started making games with construct 3.

• Overall the clean/flat design works great for construct 3. But the clean/flat design seems to be missed on the tabs, instead they have a shadow/gradient with round corners and more of a 90s web feeling. The only thing that feels like it doesn't belong there.

True, those tabs were criticized by many users. I might also add that (asked by several people as well) the lines next to the events on the event sheets really helped the eye to follow which events are indented in C2. I see no reason why they were removed. It just makes it harder to read the visual code.

• Agree completely. Those multi-color-retro-power-puff tabs need to be fixed. If anything they scream unprofessional and lowers the overall impression of C3. Makes c3 look like some home-bake rather than a professional product, but who knows, maybe they had an intern there who they let have a go in the tabs. :p

• but who knows, maybe they had an intern there who they let have a go in the tabs. :p

No, the tabs are all my fault C2 has multicolor tabs too, and this was meant to be the C3 equivalent of that. But the main thing is our designer Paulo hasn't had a chance to go over the editor UI yet, so it's all programmer-art equivalent of UI design at the moment. We'll get Paulo to look over it soon.

• > but who knows, maybe they had an intern there who they let have a go in the tabs. :p

>

No, the tabs are all my fault C2 has multicolor tabs too, and this was meant to be the C3 equivalent of that. But the main thing is our designer Paulo hasn't had a chance to go over the editor UI yet, so it's all programmer-art equivalent of UI design at the moment. We'll get Paulo to look over it soon.

Cool. I trust you'll fix it... Multi-color or not, as long as they fit in nicely with the rest of the UI later I'm happy.

• I might also add that (asked by several people as well) the lines next to the events on the event sheets really helped the eye to follow which events are indented in C2. I see no reason why they were removed. It just makes it harder to read the visual code.

Yes, I find it quite useful at times to look at the lines to help trace to the parents of sub-events if they are part of a long list of events that requires scrolling through the sheet. Being able to track the lines as well as count how many, helps understand the placement of events.

• I don't mind the multi-color tabs, but the colors need to be more coordinated so they have value, such as making different tabs more easily identifiable.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • I love colors as you know, but I agree it feels old!

I think it needs to be "flat" so to say (solid color no shading). And there must be some logic in the choice of colors and colors should be same for same project so every time you open one particular project it should use same color for the tabs every time you open that project.

Some kind of grouping of colors for when more than 1 project is open.

Maybe solving by having 2 color-tabs, first color for the Project (same color whole project) and the second color for the event sheet/layout tab.

Or I dunno. Well it needs to be changed.

Oh yes, now I figured it out. Border around the tabs that are part of same project. So you can see it is different project and also helps on which project is active if the border is different as well.

• Remember that part about rounding the corners?

Just do the opposite here.

• Ashley, it would be really-really cool to be able to customize the default color of each tab in event sheet and layout properties. Actually, I have been waiting for this feature for a long time and with the arrival of this on the events, I was surprised not to see it implemented.

Maybe in a future update?

• > but who knows, maybe they had an intern there who they let have a go in the tabs. :p

>

if we are going to keep the multicolor tabs it will be cool if we could put the color we want to the tabs so we can be more organzed in our projects.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)