Using multiple tilemaps problem

1 favourites
  • 7 posts
From the Asset Store
With this template you will learn how to use the GooglePlay Games native plugin
  • Hi all,

Not sure if anyone else has had this problem when using multiple tilemaps on one layout.

Never had a problem on construct 2 but on construct 3 when I've switched between tilemaps, selecting tiles with the draw tile button clicked, nothing shows up on the layout and I also can't delete tiles.

I've made sure the background layer is selected.

Am I missing something?

Should I only use 1 tilemap per layout?

If so is there a pixel size limit to a tilemap like with sprite size limit?

Thanks

Alex

• Do you want to click on some position in the layout and draw the tile on the tilemap? Can you provide a c3p? Because, as far as I know, there is no problem with this in C3 and you can use several tilemaps in the same layout, there are no technical limit. Most likely you are using wrong coordinate.

Tilemaps have a size limite of 1px, but It's not recomended to use tilemap like that. It would have a bad performance since It was design to draw bigger tiles like 16px or more and avoid repetition using sprites. If you create a tilemap of really small tiles, the performance would be the same or worse if you were using sprites. Imagine how many sprites/tiles would you need to draw the whole screen.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Hi kossglobal,

I've created a c3p that replicates the issue on onedrive.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuK9l4B5C4bGiWVAZy27lOm5fI0o

As you can see I've created 2 tilemaps that use 64x64 tiles.

I added some of tilemap 1 to layout first.

I then added some of tilemap 2 to layout.

Went back and added another tile from tilemap 1 ok.

Now I can't add anymore of tilemap 2 or delete any of it.

Thanks

• Hi kossglobal,

I've created a c3p that replicates the issue on onedrive.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuK9l4B5C4bGiWVAZy27lOm5fI0o

As you can see I've created 2 tilemaps that use 64x64 tiles.

I added some of tilemap 1 to layout first.

I then added some of tilemap 2 to layout.

Went back and added another tile from tilemap 1 ok.

Now I can't add anymore of tilemap 2 or delete any of it.

Thanks

The problem is because you added the two TileMaps on the same Layer so when you click on them only the top TileMap object is selected. to avoid this and to make the life easier put each TileMap on their own Layer and Lock them. So whenever you need to work on any of the TileMaps Example:

You need to work on TileMap1 then Unlock the layer where is TileMap1 located and Loock the Layer where TileMap2 is located so they don't interfere between them this way when you select a tilemap it will select the Right one

• OK great thanks tarek2. Still getting used to c3. Think I put them on same layer in c2 as was restricted to number of layers. Thanks again 😀

• OK great thanks tarek2. Still getting used to c3. Think I put them on same layer in c2 as was restricted to number of layers. Thanks again 😀

No problem mate

If you ever need it to work with one layer only you can just change the Z-order, one way to this is by Right click on the TileMaps it will open a window go to Z-Order then choose "send to the bottom of the Layer" so the next time you try to select a Tilemap the one that was on the bottom it will be now on the Top so it can be selected

have fun

• I thought your problem was something else, nevermind. Glad your problem was solved.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)