Are these two things normal for moving Containers within the Layout Editor?

0 favourites
  • 3 posts
From the Asset Store
High quality backgrounds for games and videos with over 1000 images!
  • Hey folks :)

I hope everyone is having a fantastic weekend so far!

Just a couple quick questions regarding manipulating Objects within a Container in the Layout Editor. As well as moving them around with "Snap to Grid" enabled. This is my first time setting up objects which reside within a Container.

Anyways. I've noticed that once I have all the objects within the container where I'd like them. If I select multiple copies of the container, and right-click "Z Order -> Send to bottom of layer". Some of the objects within the containers will get switched over to other containers. Or sometimes all the selected containers that were moved to the bottom of the layer at once, seem to become one container.

I found this a bit confusing, and not sure if this is a normal function of Construct 3 when editing in this way. I did some testing just now. And, it seems okay if I select one container at a time and do "Send to bottom of layer" of the Z Order.

The issue was, my player sprite was walking behind the containers, where the player sprite should be walking in front of the container objects. Anyways, I've started just moving the Player Sprites to the top of the layer while working in the Layout Editor. Rather than moving each container to the back of the layer seperately.

-------------------

One more thing I noticed, which I'm not sure is normal or not. I will setup my container exactly as I'd like it to be. With all the objects within the container positioned exactly where they need to be for it to work properly. But, if I move a container around, or copy and paste a container with the "Snap to grid" property within the layout editor enabled. It will move each object within the container to the grid lines(snapping each object within the container to the closest grid line), and thus move the placement of the objects within the container.

I thought the layout editor would treat the entire container as a single object, and snap the container to grid lines while leaving the objects positioned within the container where they had been placed. Doesn't seem to be the case though. Again, I'm not sure if this is the normal function of the Layout Editor while moving around Containers with Snap to Grid turned on while editing layouts.

Just curious on these two things. Any answers are greatly appreciated :). I don't want to submit a bug report or anything. But, if this is normal behavior, I might try to put in a feature suggestion for one or both of these things. If it's even possible to add them to Construct 3.

• Layout view doesn't have the same rules when you're adding container objects and sometimes doesn't treat a container as such. I found it is better to create them during runtime. These bugs about moving parts of a container are kind of trivial because the point of a container is to pick everything together in one event, so on your event sheet you would set the layer of one of the objects and all other objects would follow, no real need to start doing all this in the layout view.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Makes sense to me. First time for everything, haha. I handle pretty much everything through my Event Sheets. But, this is my first time messing about with Containers.

The game play mechanic I am working with. I was originally handling it with creating, and pinning in one of my main Event Sheets. But found it works out better as a container.

I'll just switch to doing pretty much the same thing as before, but set them up inside a container instead. Then just place the main object in the layouts, and have the rest handled, during the On Start of Layout.

Thanks for your input lionz. Much appreciated!

Have a great weekend :)

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)