Tween Behaviour Slow?

0 favourites
  • 10 posts
From the Asset Store
Calculate parabolic trajectories and tween objects over them.
  • Hi, I am trying to optimize on a pretty low end device and my main title screen is running at around 30fps.

However, I have a sprite (Hours_Button) can be activated which begins to pulse. As soon as I do this the fps drops to around 20fps. This seems pretty drastic. AM I doing something wrong?

I am just calling the tween once:

+ Hours_Button: On clicked

-> Hours_Button: Tween "" property Scale to 1.1, 1.1 in 0.5 seconds (In Out Sinusoidal, destroy: No, loop: Yes, ping pong: Yes)

• Just to add to this..

I just tried an old plugin called Lite tween and unfortunately that had about the same HUGE impact on the framerate. (around 30 to 40% drop)!!

I've been optimizing my game over the last couple of days; following all the documented advice; reducing image sizes, removing unnecessary effects, physics etc, but this (Tweening) is by far having the biggest impact on my FPS out of everything!!?!?

Is there another option other than to remove tweens altogether?? That's going to make for a pretty lousy looking app :(

• Ohh, how "low-end" are we talking here? Do you have the device specs or model?

• Philips E1027

Renderer Detail: Mali-T720 (i think around 600-650 MHz)

1.9 GB Memory

Android 7.0

cetrogar.com.ar/tablet-philips-tle1027-10.html

She's a beauty! :)

• However, when I run something like Geometry Dash (Cocos) on it or other apps that even I made with other engines (Unity) I get a much smoother experience on the same old device. (These are comparable in terms of the kind of amount of objects I have etc in my game.)

I'm starting to think this might be a C3 issue. Maybe it's just not fast enough to run on older devices.

I really don't want to have to switch engines halfway through a project though !!

• Tweening should not have any significant performance impact. It's hard to say more without seeing a project that we can try ourselves.

30 FPS is already a pretty low starting point, so my best guess is this is nothing to do with tweening - the most common cause of poor performance is a device with broken graphics drivers that has to revert to software rendering. (That's not Construct's fault either.)

• Yeah its a pretty bad device and I've optimized everything as far as it can go. Even virtually empty scenes run at about 30-40fps with almost no events. I am using the remote preview to test.

Its bad though, because i'm seeing other comparable (or even more detailed) games running very fast on the same device.

The fps drops from 30 to 20 as soon as the tween starts. If I start another tween, its drops even further.

I could send the project but its quite large and It contains a few additional plugins (ProUI).

• By disabling groups I've got the main screen running at around 55fps- but if there is nothing moving, then it's kind of pointless to have a good fps.

Still though, when I hit the button to tween it drops to around 35 fps for the duration of the tween and the CPU goes from around 12% up to 60%. The button performs no other action and nothing else happens apart from this.

--> Hours_Button: Tween "" property Scale to 1.1, 1.1 in 0.5 seconds (In Out Sinusoidal, destroy: No, loop: No, ping pong: Yes)

Once the tween is complete the fps returns to 55 fps and CPU returns to 12%. The tween is losing me 20fps when its running.

It's most definitely the Tween...or my device just can't handle tweens ?!? :)

Note: This is just a simple sprite with no text. It is not attached to any parent the scene graph and does not have any children.

Also, testing this on PC when the tween starts, draw calls go from 0.1% to 1.8% during the tween. Clearly, it's no bother for the PC but its an 1800% increase which is clearly affecting the low end tablet I'm using.

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • Oddly, I just ran my app on another low spec android device (Adreno 330) and everything ran at a crisp 60fps including the tweening.

I think the Adreno 330 is a bit more powerful than the Mali-t720.

Maybe I just need to increase my minimum device spec?

• the most common cause of poor performance is a device with broken graphics drivers that has to revert to software rendering.

Older devices are more likely to have out of date drivers, but not all of them.

The game generally will still work, just with lower framerates.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)